Re: Chlorinated Water

  • whynda
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
      > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
      > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
      > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
      > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
      > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
      > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
      > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
      > minerals/salts.
      >
      > HTH
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Greetings all,
      Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units, on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it is "distilled" water.

      my two cents worth (plus GST)
    • whynda
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
        > What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
        > like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
        > (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.
        >
        > Cheers
        > JRae

        Greetings all,
        Methinks that rainwater whilst it may not be tainted with chemicals,
        probably has a fairly high bacteria count due to birds and other critters doing "stuff" on your roof or whatever collecting method you are using. Having said that, last year I was in Launceston and did a tour of the Boags brewery and was told that all the brew water comes from the North Esk River and the only treatment it receives is through a sand filter, if that's true it tased just fine to my buds.

        my two cents worth (plus GST)
      • Austin Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
          I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

        • Brain Solenoid
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
            > Greetings all,
            > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
            condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
            on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
            collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
            is "distilled" water.

            > my two cents worth (plus GST)

            I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
            1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
            re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
            lower immune systems, died from this illness.

            It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
            was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
            the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
            believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
            their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

            Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
            nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
            be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

            I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
            the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
            WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
            volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
            I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
            filtered water.

            Regards,
            BS
          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
              The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).