pot for still

  • Michael Spottswood
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hello all:
      I have just finished building my first reflux column. My problem is that
      I cannot find a stainless pot heavy enough to attach it to. I could build
      supports for the column, but I would rather a unit that is stand-alone. I
      have a 20 US quart stock pot, but the lid is too light. Any suggestions of
      where to look for such a beast?
      Thanks
      Mike

    • Michael Spottswood
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
        Hello all:
        It's Mike again. I just built a reflux column and I can't find a suitable
        pot. If one is unattainable, would it be possible to remotely mount the
        column and feed it with a piece of flexable copper tubing from the boiler?
        I am trying like heck to make a go of this so any comments would be
        appreciated.
        Thanks
        Mike
        mikespotts@...

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
          Mike,

          > It's Mike again. I just built a reflux column and I can't find a
          suitable
          > pot. If one is unattainable, would it be possible to remotely mount the
          > column and feed it with a piece of flexable copper tubing from the
          boiler?
          > I am trying like heck to make a go of this so any comments would be
          > appreciated.

          Its a common technique done on industrial distillation columns. The trick
          will be to ensure that the reflux can still return to the pot too after its
          finished trickling down the column - eg have the flexible on an angle, not
          with a sag in it or suchlike.

          Tony
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
            > Any suggestions of
            > where to look for such a beast?

            considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?

            Tony
          • Big Kahuna
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
              I keep seeing requests for where to get a suitable boiler. Look in your
              yellow pages for " Metal recyclers". It may take a few visits but eventually
              you will find what you need for cheap. Phone and ask them if they have
              anything you need in stainless. Like beer kegs, industrial floor machines
              are usually made out of stainless and like Tony said , coffee urns. Check
              with your local dairy. All of their equipment is stainless too. If all else
              fails, look again in your phone book for manufacturers of brewing eqipment.
              One trip to thier factory will blow your mind and your wallet if your not
              careful. Maybe they'll let you look through their scrap pile. The makers of
              brewing vats have every concievable piece you could ever want but they carry
              a hefty price tag. On Vancouver Island BC Canada, it seems that every where
              I look I see stainless pots for boilers. Also some nurserys have stainless
              tanks fo rholding water but these are usually 100 gallons or more. Last but
              not least, a metal fabricating shop can make it up to your order. But again
              you will be paying top dollar.

              Tony, I havent forgotten your request fo rmore details. I'll do it in the
              next day or two.

              BK

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2001
                If you live in the U.S. try looking in the yellow pages under barrels or
                drums- call a few places- they typically have 5-20 gallon stainless steel
                food grade drums with heavy lids. Just say you plan on using it for wine
                making- it'll work. Most of these containers can handle 40 pounds of pressure
                per square inch. That makes them safe enough for distilling.
              • janpam ooms
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 9, 2001
                  If you live in Brisbane and want a fairly heavy gauge stainless container
                  with a clip on lid that seals properly,you have to try VISYPACK/RHEEM.They
                  are situated at BULIMBA and make these containers in every size from 10 to
                  200 litres.A metal spinner will put a nice bulge in the lid so you can mount
                  the tower quite safely as the material is a lot thicker than the KIWI
                  version.If anyone is interested i can publish their phone number and the
                  person to contact if he allows me to do this.
                  Regards. Jan.
                  >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
                  >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] pot for still
                  >Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:58:05 +1200
                  >
                  > > Any suggestions of
                  > > where to look for such a beast?
                  >
                  >considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?
                  >
                  >Tony

                • Francis Graham
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                    Mike,
                    If you have a reasonably big coloumn (1 metre or
                    longer),try a stainless steel keg, it will take a full
                    or double size standard wash from your fermenter,&
                    gives a very stable base for your fermenter. if you
                    need a good mount for your keg , a spare wheel from
                    your car will quite often accomodate it quite well.
                    Depending on the brand of keg you use, you may have to
                    adapt your still head in a number of different ways.
                    If it has a protruding threaded neck you could use 4
                    eyebolts through the neck & a flat base on your head
                    with 4 holes to accomodate 4 screws which are inserted
                    through the eyebolts &then through the holes in the
                    base,or something similar.If you look @ the kiwi
                    distillers site photos of setups you will see many
                    more ways of mounting different types of kegs.To heat
                    it ,use an ordinary element from a hot water system.

                    http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
                    - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
                  • Michael Spottswood
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                      Thanks for the ideas everyone. However, I am trying to keep this project
                      low cost for it is my first of its kind. I can get a stainless milk can
                      with a lid for $110.00 with shipping from New York to Kansas. I was hoping
                      to do it for about half of that. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be
                      my only option. All of the kegs I find are aluminum and I am not savvy
                      enough to cut a lid and reattach it securely. I am in a bit of a jam. The
                      reflux column is 36 inches high and weighs 15 lbs. I need a big pot to
                      support it. Anything else would be appreciated, and thanks to all those who
                      have helped already.
                      Mike

                    • al lewis
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                        Hi, whats the fasination with stainless steel appart from the cost?
                        If your experimenting. I sugest you go to your nearest wine merchat
                        supplier and get a 5 1/2 gallon plastic bucket and lid off him.
                        I have used one with an old kettle element fitted in through the wall
                        with great satisfaction.
                        You you like what you see, why spend all your hardnd earned $$$$
                        on something that looks beautiful but only does the same job. al

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                          I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.

                          As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only be
                          described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.

                          As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                          extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                          of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.

                          My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                          OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                          potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic Waste
                          Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.

                          It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.

                          Total cost of the build? £20.00

                          If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                          up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                          how I get on.

                          Fizz
                        • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                            --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                            > I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.
                            >
                            > As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only
                            be
                            > described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.
                            >
                            > As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                            > extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                            > of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.
                            >
                            > My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                            > OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                            > potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic
                            Waste
                            > Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.
                            >
                            > It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.
                            >
                            > Total cost of the build? £20.00
                            >
                            > If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                            > up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                            > how I get on.
                            >
                            > Fizz

                            Ours isnt a reflux still but still gives excellent results. Its a pot
                            still made from a pressure cooker (£2 at car boot sale- brand new) a
                            coil of 15mm copper tubing (£10 B&Q) and a few inches of plastic
                            tubing as a connector. The thermometer (£2 sugar/cake shop)goes where
                            the pressure seal was and the whole set up came to less than £15-
                            give top notch results every time as long as you carefully monitor
                            the temperature.
                            Long live economy!
                            Sally
                          • Brian Bashford
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                              Hi Fizz,
                                 As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old " bit.

                                     Good Luck,
                                       Brian B.
[...]

                            • Dick
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                                > Hi Fizz,
                                >    As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans
                                > out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word
                                > conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old "
                                > bit.

                                Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used an old
                                Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted of soap
                                powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and I was
                                broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could advise if
                                active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV ads tell us
                                are in all modern soap powders.
                                Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                                --
                                Dick
                                Fra' Auld Reekie
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                                  Hi Brian,

                                  The old boiler (no, not the wife, the OTHER one ;) is made by Burco.
                                  It holds about 5 Gallons and is made from aluminium. It also has an
                                  aluminium lid, a drain off tap and a controller (Off, Low and High)
                                  for six heater elements.

                                  It boils up a gallon of cold tap water in under 15 minutes when on
                                  High setting and simmers nicely on Low setting.

                                  I remember my Grandmother had one of these which she used to boil up
                                  the washing one day and Ham Joints the next. I prefer my intended
                                  use, though.

                                  Regards

                                  Fizz
                                • al lewis
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                                    Regarding the Burco boiler, I used one but absentmindedly forgot to empty
                                    after boil off. Result a holy burco. Please empty as soon as you
                                    are finished or you will have the same result. Going from that I guess some
                                    aluminium is been added into the brew all the time :(.
                                    I also have a picture of prisoners in the Kesh [jail] in Northern
                                    Ireland using one !!!
                                    take care ,al

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                                      Hi Al,

                                      Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
                                      Did you find that the Burco performed as you expected. I have yet to
                                      do my first run and I anticipate that I will have to crank it up
                                      to "High" to get the initial temp up, then drop it doen to "Low"
                                      setting and let in slowly distill. Does this match your experiences
                                      with it?

                                      Fizz

                                    • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                                        Hi Dick,

                                        Soap residue is something I have considered.

                                        I have given the Burco a good clean out but will expect there to be a
                                        certain of of residue until the still has prodeuced a few runs
                                        to "burn" out the soap.
                                        I have an activated charcoal filter ready and waiting so I am hoping
                                        that will sort that out.

                                        Cheers

                                        Fizz

                                        > Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used
                                        an old
                                        > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted
                                        of soap
                                        > powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and
                                        I was
                                        > broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could
                                        advise if
                                        > active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV
                                        ads tell us
                                        > are in all modern soap powders.
                                        > Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                                        > --
                                        > Dick
                                        > Fra' Auld Reekie
                                      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 16, 2001
                                          Dick,

                                          > I used an old
                                          > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely
                                          > tasted of soap powder

                                          I haven't had the need to try carbon on soapy wash yet, but guess that it
                                          should help.

                                          Just timely to remind again that the first run with any still should be a
                                          "water only" affair, to not only check out how well all the seals are, find
                                          leaks, etc, but also to help clean out any remaining soap/grease/cleaning
                                          products etc.

                                          Tony