Re: [new_distillers] Re: Chlorinated Water

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: Harry, I checked the Kenmore manual and it seems that it removes most of the nasty crap in tap water. I bought the unit to use as a experiment still, but after it leaked above the boiler vessel twice, I became tired of lossin valuable wash and haven't tried it again (anyone with similar happy experiences?).
      Monica, after running wash through this unit it seemed to produce good purified water. I'm going to give it a second go with some less expensive wash. I made a run with it a couple times and it worked okay. Rana

      Hi Rana,
      For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
      distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
      flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
      you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
      process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
      packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
      water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
      minerals/salts.

      HTH

    • Brain Solenoid
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
        > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
        > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
        > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
        > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
        > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
        > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
        > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
        > minerals/salts.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Harry,

        You bring up a very interesting point...........the purity of water
        in Scottish Single Malts (or Whiskeys). I would doubt that all these
        distilleries are using R/O water in their process..........or are
        they? The naive tippler in me would think that each has their own
        peculiar well or spring they pull from, but that probably defies the
        amount they need to actually make production.

        Just curious.

        BS
      • vojeto
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
          Harry

          > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
          > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
          > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
          > you might regret.

          What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
          like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
          (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.

          Cheers
          JRae
        • whynda
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
            > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
            > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
            > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
            > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
            > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
            > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
            > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
            > minerals/salts.
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Greetings all,
            Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units, on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it is "distilled" water.

            my two cents worth (plus GST)
          • whynda
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
              > What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
              > like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
              > (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.
              >
              > Cheers
              > JRae

              Greetings all,
              Methinks that rainwater whilst it may not be tainted with chemicals,
              probably has a fairly high bacteria count due to birds and other critters doing "stuff" on your roof or whatever collecting method you are using. Having said that, last year I was in Launceston and did a tour of the Boags brewery and was told that all the brew water comes from the North Esk River and the only treatment it receives is through a sand filter, if that's true it tased just fine to my buds.

              my two cents worth (plus GST)
            • Austin Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

              • Brain Solenoid
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                  > Greetings all,
                  > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
                  condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
                  on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
                  collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
                  is "distilled" water.

                  > my two cents worth (plus GST)

                  I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
                  1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
                  re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
                  lower immune systems, died from this illness.

                  It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
                  was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
                  the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
                  believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
                  their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

                  Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
                  nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
                  be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

                  I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
                  the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
                  WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
                  volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
                  I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
                  filtered water.

                  Regards,
                  BS
                • Austin Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                    The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).