Re: [new_distillers] Re: Chlorinated Water

  • Mythik
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
      can you still distill filtered water in the same still as you distill alcohol, or would you have to take it apart and clean it rigourously everytime you'd like to switch?

      ===Monica

    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: Harry, I checked the Kenmore manual and it seems that it removes most of the nasty crap in tap water. I bought the unit to use as a experiment still, but after it leaked above the boiler vessel twice, I became tired of lossin valuable wash and haven't tried it again (anyone with similar happy experiences?).
        Monica, after running wash through this unit it seemed to produce good purified water. I'm going to give it a second go with some less expensive wash. I made a run with it a couple times and it worked okay. Rana

        Hi Rana,
        For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
        distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
        flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
        you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
        process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
        packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
        water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
        minerals/salts.

        HTH

      • Brain Solenoid
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
          > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
          > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
          > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
          > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
          > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
          > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
          > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
          > minerals/salts.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Harry,

          You bring up a very interesting point...........the purity of water
          in Scottish Single Malts (or Whiskeys). I would doubt that all these
          distilleries are using R/O water in their process..........or are
          they? The naive tippler in me would think that each has their own
          peculiar well or spring they pull from, but that probably defies the
          amount they need to actually make production.

          Just curious.

          BS
        • vojeto
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
            Harry

            > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
            > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
            > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
            > you might regret.

            What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
            like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
            (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.

            Cheers
            JRae
          • whynda
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
              > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
              > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
              > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
              > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
              > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
              > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
              > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
              > minerals/salts.
              >
              > HTH
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Greetings all,
              Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units, on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it is "distilled" water.

              my two cents worth (plus GST)
            • whynda
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                > What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
                > like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
                > (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.
                >
                > Cheers
                > JRae

                Greetings all,
                Methinks that rainwater whilst it may not be tainted with chemicals,
                probably has a fairly high bacteria count due to birds and other critters doing "stuff" on your roof or whatever collecting method you are using. Having said that, last year I was in Launceston and did a tour of the Boags brewery and was told that all the brew water comes from the North Esk River and the only treatment it receives is through a sand filter, if that's true it tased just fine to my buds.

                my two cents worth (plus GST)
              • Austin Smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                  I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

                • Brain Solenoid
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                    > Greetings all,
                    > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
                    condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
                    on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
                    collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
                    is "distilled" water.

                    > my two cents worth (plus GST)

                    I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
                    1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
                    re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
                    lower immune systems, died from this illness.

                    It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
                    was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
                    the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
                    believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
                    their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

                    Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
                    nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
                    be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

                    I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
                    the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
                    WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
                    volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
                    I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
                    filtered water.

                    Regards,
                    BS
                  • Austin Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                      The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).