Re: Chlorinated Water

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
      wrote:
      > Austin and Mark, I was referring to dilution of a double distilled
      product of about 160proof. I want to dilute to 80proof and add a
      tequila essence and didn't expect the tapwater to give such an off
      taste before flavoring. Boiling would be much faster anyway I
      guess. Thanks for the response friends. Rana

      Hi Rana,
      For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
      distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
      flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
      you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
      process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
      packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
      water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
      minerals/salts.

      HTH

    • Mythik
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
        can you still distill filtered water in the same still as you distill alcohol, or would you have to take it apart and clean it rigourously everytime you'd like to switch?

        ===Monica

      • Rana Pipiens

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
            > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
            > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
            > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
            > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
            > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
            > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
            > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
            > minerals/salts.
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Harry,

            You bring up a very interesting point...........the purity of water
            in Scottish Single Malts (or Whiskeys). I would doubt that all these
            distilleries are using R/O water in their process..........or are
            they? The naive tippler in me would think that each has their own
            peculiar well or spring they pull from, but that probably defies the
            amount they need to actually make production.

            Just curious.

            BS
          • vojeto
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
              Harry

              > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
              > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
              > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
              > you might regret.

              What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
              like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
              (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.

              Cheers
              JRae
            • whynda
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
                > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
                > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
                > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
                > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
                > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
                > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
                > minerals/salts.
                >
                > HTH
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Greetings all,
                Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units, on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it is "distilled" water.

                my two cents worth (plus GST)
              • whynda
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                  > What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
                  > like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
                  > (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > JRae

                  Greetings all,
                  Methinks that rainwater whilst it may not be tainted with chemicals,
                  probably has a fairly high bacteria count due to birds and other critters doing "stuff" on your roof or whatever collecting method you are using. Having said that, last year I was in Launceston and did a tour of the Boags brewery and was told that all the brew water comes from the North Esk River and the only treatment it receives is through a sand filter, if that's true it tased just fine to my buds.

                  my two cents worth (plus GST)
                • Austin Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                    I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

                  • Brain Solenoid
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                      > Greetings all,
                      > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
                      condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
                      on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
                      collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
                      is "distilled" water.

                      > my two cents worth (plus GST)

                      I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
                      1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
                      re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
                      lower immune systems, died from this illness.

                      It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
                      was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
                      the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
                      believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
                      their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

                      Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
                      nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
                      be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

                      I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
                      the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
                      WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
                      volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
                      I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
                      filtered water.

                      Regards,
                      BS
                    • Austin Smith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                        The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).