Chlorinated Water

  • ranah2o
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Folks. I used some tapwater to dilute some of my product and even
      though I normally cannot detect the taste of chlorine in tap drinking
      water, I definately could when used as a dilutant. My question is to
      those with the Kenmore water purifiers. Will water run through the
      purifier be a good choice for diluting? Thanks, Rana
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
        You'll be better off boiling the tap water to release the dissolved chlorine. The Kenmore gives you absolutely pure water, which isn't what you want for making your wort/wash. Cutting the final run with distilled water is a different matter, and preferred.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
          Normally, boiling water will drive away the chlorine. With a still,
          you are collecting the chlorinated vapor. Try boiling the water
          BEFORE fermenting. That is generally taught in homebrewing 101.

          However, many municipal water systems are using chloramines. This is
          a compound of chlorine and ammonia. It cannot be boiled away. The
          easiest way to remove chloramines is to let it sit in the open for 3-
          5 days. Need some a little faster, try an activated carbon filter
          (Brita). Brita filters are not the fastest, but are cheap enough I
          use it for all my brewing water.

          When chloramines breakdown, they produce possible carcinogens. Most
          notable is tri-halo chloamine. During fermenting they produce
          chlorophenols. This lends a medicinal/band-aid flavor/aroma.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Folks. I used some tapwater to dilute some of my product and
          even
          > though I normally cannot detect the taste of chlorine in tap
          drinking
          > water, I definately could when used as a dilutant. My question is
          > those with the Kenmore water purifiers. Will water run through the
          > purifier be a good choice for diluting? Thanks, Rana
        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
            Austin and Mark, I was referring to dilution of a double distilled product of about 160proof. I want to dilute to 80proof and add a tequila essence and didn't expect the tapwater to give such an off taste before flavoring. Boiling would be much faster anyway I guess. Thanks for the response friends. Rana
            Mark <brewmaster411@...> wrote:Normally, boiling water will drive away the chlorine. With a still,
            you are collecting the chlorinated vapor. Try boiling the water
            BEFORE fermenting. That is generally taught in homebrewing 101.

            However, many municipal water systems are using chloramines. This is
            a compound of chlorine and ammonia. It cannot be boiled away. The
            easiest way to remove chloramines is to let it sit in the open for 3-
            5 days. Need some a little faster, try an activated carbon filter
            (Brita). Brita filters are not the fastest, but are cheap enough I
            use it for all my brewing water.

            When chloramines breakdown, they produce possible carcinogens. Most
            notable is tri-halo chloamine. During fermenting they produce
            chlorophenols. This lends a medicinal/band-aid flavor/aroma.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Folks. I used some tapwater to dilute some of my product and
            even
            > though I normally cannot detect the taste of chlorine in tap
            drinking
            > water, I definately could when used as a dilutant. My question is
            > those with the Kenmore water purifiers. Will water run through the
            > purifier be a good choice for diluting? Thanks, Rana

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
              wrote:
              > Austin and Mark, I was referring to dilution of a double distilled
              product of about 160proof. I want to dilute to 80proof and add a
              tequila essence and didn't expect the tapwater to give such an off
              taste before flavoring. Boiling would be much faster anyway I
              guess. Thanks for the response friends. Rana

              Hi Rana,
              For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
              distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
              flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
              you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
              process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
              packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
              water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
              minerals/salts.

              HTH

            • Mythik
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
                can you still distill filtered water in the same still as you distill alcohol, or would you have to take it apart and clean it rigourously everytime you'd like to switch?

                ===Monica

              • Rana Pipiens

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2004
                    > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
                    > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
                    > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
                    > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
                    > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
                    > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
                    > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
                    > minerals/salts.
                    >
                    > HTH
                    >
                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry

                    Harry,

                    You bring up a very interesting point...........the purity of water
                    in Scottish Single Malts (or Whiskeys). I would doubt that all these
                    distilleries are using R/O water in their process..........or are
                    they? The naive tippler in me would think that each has their own
                    peculiar well or spring they pull from, but that probably defies the
                    amount they need to actually make production.

                    Just curious.

                    BS
                  • vojeto
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                      Harry

                      > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
                      > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
                      > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
                      > you might regret.

                      What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
                      like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
                      (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.

                      Cheers
                      JRae
                    • whynda
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                        > For dilution (cutting) of product to drinkable strength, use
                        > distilled water only. Anything else will (at best) change the
                        > flavour profile, or (at worst) introduce things into your body that
                        > you might regret. Water distilled by reverse osmosis membrane
                        > process is readily available at your supermarket in 1 to 15 litre
                        > packages at very reasonable cost ($5 AUD here for 15 lt). Spring
                        > water is not recommended as it contains too many dissolved
                        > minerals/salts.
                        >
                        > HTH
                        >
                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        Greetings all,
                        Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units, on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it is "distilled" water.

                        my two cents worth (plus GST)
                      • whynda
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                          > What do you reckon about rain water collected in remote areas - say
                          > like the rain water that is collected in that rainwater farm in FNQ
                          > (Mena Creek, near Mossman?). It ain't too dear in the supermarkets.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > JRae

                          Greetings all,
                          Methinks that rainwater whilst it may not be tainted with chemicals,
                          probably has a fairly high bacteria count due to birds and other critters doing "stuff" on your roof or whatever collecting method you are using. Having said that, last year I was in Launceston and did a tour of the Boags brewery and was told that all the brew water comes from the North Esk River and the only treatment it receives is through a sand filter, if that's true it tased just fine to my buds.

                          my two cents worth (plus GST)
                        • Austin Smith
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                            I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

                          • Brain Solenoid
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                              > Greetings all,
                              > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
                              condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
                              on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
                              collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
                              is "distilled" water.

                              > my two cents worth (plus GST)

                              I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
                              1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
                              re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
                              lower immune systems, died from this illness.

                              It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
                              was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
                              the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
                              believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
                              their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

                              Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
                              nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
                              be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

                              I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
                              the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
                              WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
                              volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
                              I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
                              filtered water.

                              Regards,
                              BS
                            • Austin Smith
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                                The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).