Re: Oak Boxes

  • grayson_stewart66
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
      <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
      > Wood Pipes...........must've been real tastey water in the
      summer!

      Always glad to see a fellow engineer. :-)
      Actually some stayed in service for a really long time believe it
      or not.

      > You get a lot of benefits from circular structure. One, there are
      no
      > corners, so there are no stress concentration regions of the
      pipe.
      > Second, because it is round, it sees all load, uniformaly over its
      > cross section, for the least amount of material.
      > PS - I would have thought the greatest load would be at the
      extreme
      > outer surface, where it not only takes the maximum bending loads (
      > Stress = [M*C]/I ) but also the burst pressure ( Stress = F/A ).
      If
      > a rigid pipe bend while pressurized it will rupture at the tensile
      > extreme surface. Right?

      The outer surface would see the greatest stresses with internal
      pressure or true bending stresses. However, barrels aren't designed
      for internal stresses noted by the flat ends...and perhaps they are
      tapered to help prevent "true" bending streses (from trial and error
      I assume).

      When seasoning a barrel, the barrel is both filled with water
      and submereged so it will swell against the steel retaining hoops.
      After filling with spirits, the wetted inner surface will remain
      swelled an hopefully water (spirit) tight while the outer surface
      will dry.

      The few unused barrels I've seen have loose or floating steel
      hoops that are driven tight against the greater diamter wood staves
      before conditioning to create the constriction.

      I would love to have a wooden barrel filled with my own
      creation, but my product never lasts long enough to warrant the
      expense. :-)