Re: Oak Boxes

  • Tarvus
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
      wrote:
      > Ok a quick question....had the timber been aged for 1 to 2 years
      before
      > crafting (2 years is preferable)....if not then of course you would
      have
      > ended up with warping due to the timber still being green...I know
      this
      > well as my dad runs a sawmill and was an A+ student in woodwork at
      high
      > school
      >
      > Toni Smith
      > ICQ 166838134
      > MSN tonimarie29@h...

      Yes Toni,

      It was well aged wood. The place I bought it from specialized in
      rare woods and all were kiln dried and aged. This particular piece
      was also selected from a considerable number of pieces for its grain
      configuration and lack of warping in the warehouse.

      The moisture from the water would probably have a greater effect on
      warping the more aged the wood was since the aged wood would be
      drier. I was surprised to see how much the heat caused warping too.

      The basic point remains. Booze boxes don't work as well as barrels
      do. In fact, they don't work at all. I wish I could report
      otherwise.

      Tar
    • grayson_stewart66
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
        <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
        > Wood Pipes...........must've been real tastey water in the
        summer!

        Always glad to see a fellow engineer. :-)
        Actually some stayed in service for a really long time believe it
        or not.

        > You get a lot of benefits from circular structure. One, there are
        no
        > corners, so there are no stress concentration regions of the
        pipe.
        > Second, because it is round, it sees all load, uniformaly over its
        > cross section, for the least amount of material.
        > PS - I would have thought the greatest load would be at the
        extreme
        > outer surface, where it not only takes the maximum bending loads (
        > Stress = [M*C]/I ) but also the burst pressure ( Stress = F/A ).
        If
        > a rigid pipe bend while pressurized it will rupture at the tensile
        > extreme surface. Right?

        The outer surface would see the greatest stresses with internal
        pressure or true bending stresses. However, barrels aren't designed
        for internal stresses noted by the flat ends...and perhaps they are
        tapered to help prevent "true" bending streses (from trial and error
        I assume).

        When seasoning a barrel, the barrel is both filled with water
        and submereged so it will swell against the steel retaining hoops.
        After filling with spirits, the wetted inner surface will remain
        swelled an hopefully water (spirit) tight while the outer surface
        will dry.

        The few unused barrels I've seen have loose or floating steel
        hoops that are driven tight against the greater diamter wood staves
        before conditioning to create the constriction.

        I would love to have a wooden barrel filled with my own
        creation, but my product never lasts long enough to warrant the
        expense. :-)