Re: PDA-1

  • Brain Solenoid
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1 2:01 AM
      Colleagues,

      Not to sound to creepy about this, and to give total credit for the
      PDA-1 to the right folks, but can someone please dis-assemble their
      PDA-1 into smaller assemblies and shoot some digital pics for me? I
      know it's a lot to ask, but since I don't know much about the PDA-1
      unit other than what's shown on Mike's website, they would help
      greatly. I would assume it breaks down for cleaning.

      Is there a published design for this unit?

      I have an Engineering background and would like to take a stab at
      making myself one of these (NOT for sale......personal use only). I
      could never get the "War Department" (a.k.a. "The Wife") to approve a
      $300 purchase when I already have (2) still heads
      now............however, I could make one from scrap materials.

      Pics can be sent directly to my E-mail account.

      Regards, and thanks in advance,
      BS
    • jimpuchai
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1 4:42 AM

        > Ohhhh and on the front, i noticed you have pulled your designs
        from
        > Tony's site and from the groups... Hoping you would re-consider
        > putting them back, they are IMHO brilliant.

        Hello Alex,
        I cannot but agree with the above comment. It does seem a shame to
        deprive the newer distillers of this opportunity to do it right
        pretty much first time.
        You wont have forgotten that there are many many thousands of your
        drawings archived in computers all over the globe. The Katz is out
        of the bag so to speak. It will be very difficult to put the critter
        back.

        Perhaps you would consider putting up a web site in your name. If
        you displayed your extremely well done drawings, it would be a great
        help to newcomers to the hobby. I, for one would regularly visit
        such a site, especially if it were populated with some of your
        continuing ideas. It would be much nicer for everyone concerned. It
        may even prevent the furtive passing of your drawings around.

        Perhaps you could give it a thought or two Alex.

        Regards,

        Jim Puchai.
      • cyrilwhalley
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26, 2004
          Hi all
          I am a complete newby living in the UK. Read loads on the net but I
          am not very good practicaly for making a still. What do you experts
          think of the Amphora PDA-1. Thanks
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2004
            Currently it's the best column for us hobbyists that you can buy.
            Negative side is that it works best at ~600W, and doesn't separate
            well past 1500W.

            Greetz, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cyrilwhalley"
            <cyrilwhal@t...> wrote:
            > Hi all
            > I am a complete newby living in the UK. Read loads on the net but I
            > am not very good practicaly for making a still. What do you experts
            > think of the Amphora PDA-1. Thanks
          • John Wisbey
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26, 2004
              The general opinion of PDA1 is quite good. Although I do not live in England now, I have done a simple costing on a VM still in the hope of building one in my factory there, but I do not think it would be worthwhile. Hence I am about to place an order for the PDA1 myself. Good luck with your choice.

              John Wisbey
              I am a complete newby living in the UK. Read loads on the net but I
              am not very good practicaly for making a still. What do you experts
              think of the Amphora PDA-1. Thanks

            • tyler_97355
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2006
                I was looking at the amphora society's PDA-1 distillation column. I
                don't know if anyone has ever used one, or is familiar with its
                design, but i had a few questions about its design. At the bottom of
                the column, it reduces from a 2" pipe to a 3/4" pipe connector; does
                this have any negative effect on how much power a person could use? I
                also noticed that the output from the still is only 1/2" - 1/4" pipe,
                would that have any drawbacks? There is also a valve at the bottom of
                the collection pipe ( I'm assuming to control the rate of collection),
                Would that be dangerous? Could it cause a buildup of presure in the
                still? Is it a accurate way to control the vapors and the collection
                rate? Thanks for any help.

                http://www.amphora-society.com/equip_2.html

                -Tyler
              • PhilipWilson
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 30, 2006
                  Comments inline:

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > I was looking at the amphora society's PDA-1 distillation column. I
                  > don't know if anyone has ever used one, or is familiar with its
                  > design, but i had a few questions about its design. At the bottom of
                  > the column, it reduces from a 2" pipe to a 3/4" pipe connector; does
                  > this have any negative effect on how much power a person could use?

                  No. The vapor will slow down as it passes through the reducer. All the packing is in the
                  2" section of pipe, so use power calculations for 2" columns, and don't worry about the
                  connector.

                  > also noticed that the output from the still is only 1/2" - 1/4" pipe,
                  > would that have any drawbacks?

                  No, it's carrying liquid, and can certainly keep up with the rest of the still.

                  > There is also a valve at the bottom of
                  > the collection pipe ( I'm assuming to control the rate of collection),
                  > Would that be dangerous? Could it cause a buildup of presure in the
                  > still?

                  Yes, the needle valve is to control the rate of collection. It's a "liquid management" design.
                  You can and do run with the valve fully closed while the column equilibrates. There's no
                  buildup of pressure because the top of the column (reflux condensor) is vented to the
                  atmosphere.

                  > Is it a accurate way to control the vapors and the collection
                  > rate? Thanks for any help.

                  Yes. Again, it's a needle valve controlling liquid; you're dealing in drips per second. Read
                  up on liquid management for pros and cons.

                  > http://www.amphora-society.com/equip_2.html
                  >
                  > -Tyler

                  Cheers,

                  Phil
                • allmark.john
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 17, 2012
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dark_taet" <ndistillers@...> wrote:

                    > Ahhhhhh
                    >
                    > Interesting the PDA-1 does about 4 drops per minute for very pure
                    > Vodka... Interesting... So very similar output to your design... I
                    > would have thought with the extra height you would have been able to
                    > draw off faster...
                    >
                    > As for the cooling, if i turn down the watts i have the same kind of
                    > result. I find around the 600 to 700w about right. Are you running
                    > gas or electricity...? How many watts of heat are you using..?
                    >
                    > Now, the reason why i was adding the extra height is i wanted to run
                    > the unit at 1400W and take off 30 or 40ml a minute... Not sure how
                    > i'll go for purity, need to play around to get it right.
                    >
                    > As i said first time around, my issue isn't the design or the way it
                    > works.. its patience... (yes i dont have much)
                    >
                    > As for understanding your way of optimising take off, i would
                    > sincerly love to hear it, afterall thats what the list is all about.
                    >
                    > Ohhhh and on the front, i noticed you have pulled your designs from
                    > Tony's site and from the groups... Hoping you would re-consider
                    > putting them back, they are IMHO brilliant.
                    >
                    > As for the cows... no... didnt get it.. And you totally lost me
                    > with the whole dragon thing... ;-)
                    >
                    > Matt

                    Hi wanted to buy the pda1 but don't want to buy blind, would you send me pic of the in side of the head. Thanks