Re: Hi all :)

  • dark_taet
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
      Well hopefully someone from up that way will contact you and show
      you the ropes..

      As for the license i was pretty keen to follow that up as well..
      and basically no.. There are a couple of boutique breweries
      opperating, but i'd suggest that the license fee is pretty
      significant as they charge around the $80 for 500ml of spirits...!

      Personally i wrestled with the ethics of the hobby and at the end of
      the day decided to keep going. (I started and bought the gear
      before i knew it was illegal here.)

      The rules for staying out of trouble seems to be;
      1. DONT EVER SELL YOUR PRODUCT (sorry in caps, but wanted to make
      the point)
      2. Only share with and tell close friends.
      3. Don't get busted for doing anything else illegal.

      From what i can tell if you follow those rules no one has
      been "busted" in Australia for several generations...

      Best of luck with your decision..

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:

      > I'm up in Townsville, QLD
      >
      > ...also, out of interest is it possible to purchase a licence for
      low-volume home distilling? Even if you do have to pay a tax...
      Something that would still not allow you to sell your produce.
      > I would guess not of course, but it never hurts to ask these
      things!

      > ===Monica
    • Laurens W
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        I spoke to a police friend of mine, He said to NEVER ADMIT that the rig is
        for making alcohol, say it is for purifying water.

        > Well hopefully someone from up that way will contact you and show
        > you the ropes..
        >
        > As for the license i was pretty keen to follow that up as well..
        > and basically no.. There are a couple of boutique breweries
        > opperating, but i'd suggest that the license fee is pretty
        > significant as they charge around the $80 for 500ml of spirits...!
        >
        > Personally i wrestled with the ethics of the hobby and at the end of
        > the day decided to keep going. (I started and bought the gear
        > before i knew it was illegal here.)
        >
        > The rules for staying out of trouble seems to be;
        > 1. DONT EVER SELL YOUR PRODUCT (sorry in caps, but wanted to make
        > the point)
        > 2. Only share with and tell close friends.
        > 3. Don't get busted for doing anything else illegal.
        >
        > From what i can tell if you follow those rules no one has
        > been "busted" in Australia for several generations...
        >
        > Best of luck with your decision..
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm up in Townsville, QLD
        > >
        > > ...also, out of interest is it possible to purchase a licence for
        > low-volume home distilling? Even if you do have to pay a tax...
        > Something that would still not allow you to sell your produce.
        > > I would guess not of course, but it never hurts to ask these
        > things!
        > >
        > > ===Monica

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Brain Solenoid
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          Lauren,

          The guy would have to be as inept as Inspector Jacques Clouseau to
          miss the carboys of aging whiskey in my basement and not put 2 and 2
          together! I reckon the books I have on distilling wouldn't tip him
          off, either.

          BS : )

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...>