Hi all :)

  • Monica
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
      Just to introduce myself, I am a complete absolute 100% newbie to all this... In fact, I dont even have any equipment yet :) ..only an interest in the subject that I'd like to take to the next level.. hobby!

      I am not interested so much in producing whiskey etc, but I think I would like to learn to produce my own liqueurs.
      I am in australia - so legally i guess im not supposed to be able to own a distiller for anything other that water purification etc... but looking around it seems like it would not be a terribly hard thing to find one :)

      I'd like some advice on what to look for in a good distiller. I am assuming a reflux still would be what I would want (am I right?) ...What else would I need equipment-wise?

      Hello, and thankyou for any help guys!
      ===Monica

    • dark_taet
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
        Welcome aboard..

        And there is a bunch of us Aussies on the list so your not alone.

        Checkout Tony's site heaps of info..

        As for making liquers its the only reason my wife lets me keep
        going, she just loves the Midori.. ;-)

        Any specific questions fire away.

        Matt

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:
        > Just to introduce myself, I am a complete absolute 100% newbie to
        all this... In fact, I dont even have any equipment yet :) ..only an
        interest in the subject that I'd like to take to the next level..
        hobby!

        > I am not interested so much in producing whiskey etc, but I think
        I would like to learn to produce my own liqueurs.
        > I am in australia - so legally i guess im not supposed to be able
        to own a distiller for anything other that water purification etc...
        but looking around it seems like it would not be a terribly hard
        thing to find one :)

        > I'd like some advice on what to look for in a good distiller. I am
        assuming a reflux still would be what I would want (am I
        right?) ...What else would I need equipment-wise?

        > Hello, and thankyou for any help guys!
        > ===Monica

      • Monica
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
          Actually I have just spent most of the morning going through it... what a great source of info!

          Re: the midori - Do you make it yourself completely or use one of the commercial flavour/essences that i've seen mentioned at all the home brew sites I have looked at?

          finished product-wise is it better to make liquers by infusing a sugar/vodka/neutral spirit base, or infusing by a fruit-distilled base of the same or complimentary fruit?
          ...or is there no real difference in the end product either way? (particularly if using a reflux still to distill the original fruit base)

          ===Monica

          Welcome aboard..

          And there is a bunch of us Aussies on the list so your not alone.

          Checkout Tony's site heaps of info..

          As for making liquers its the only reason my wife lets me keep
          going, she just loves the Midori.. ;-)

          Any specific questions fire away.

          Matt

        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
            Monica,
            Welcome to the list. It is so nice to have a woman join our group. For
            all kinds of reasons (I guess) this list has seemed to be predominantly
            male. The good news is that there are highly competent and technically
            capable people here with very small egos. The order of the day seems to be
            to share ideas, designs, opinion and experiences without being particularly
            concerned on the reaction of others.
            I have yet to distill my first batch because I keep learning so much every
            day here.
            Welcome a board.
            At 09:44 PM 1/31/04, you wrote:
            >Just to introduce myself, I am a complete absolute 100% newbie to all
            >this... In fact, I dont even have any equipment yet :) ..only an interest
            >in the subject that I'd like to take to the next level.. hobby!
            >
            >I am not interested so much in producing whiskey etc, but I think I would
            >like to learn to produce my own liqueurs.
            >I am in australia - so legally i guess im not supposed to be able to own a
            >distiller for anything other that water purification etc... but looking
            >around it seems like it would not be a terribly hard thing to find one :)
            >
            >I'd like some advice on what to look for in a good distiller. I am
            >assuming a reflux still would be what I would want (am I right?) ...What
            >else would I need equipment-wise?
            >

            >Hello, and thankyou for any help guys!
            >===Monica

            >New Distillers group archives are at
            ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
            >FAQ and other information available at
            ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqgjle4/M=266841.4434084.5616412.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1075700655/A=1955436/R=0/*http://www.lifescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=262&caId=2136>
            >click here
            >
            >[]

            > *
            > <mailto:new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > *

            Derek Hamlet
            Victoria, B. C.
            592-8590
          • jestah_nz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
              Hi

              > I'd like some advice on what to look for in a good distiller. I am
              assuming a reflux still would be what I would want (am I right?) .

              Spot on! get a good reflux still so you can make CLEAN vodka so
              you get true and smooth flavers. IMHO I like a still that produces
              94-96% CLEAN sweet vodka than a faster still and carbon.

              What else would I need equipment-wise?

              A plastic bucket to make your suger wash ( could also be called
              a sugar wine) about 30-35L is good. keep in mind if you have a
              small boiler then you will have to split to strip the wash. you can
              get them at brew shops but i just go to The Plastic Box and get a
              29L "air tight" food bin.

              An air lock for the fermenter. (brew shop)

              Suger and yeast ( can you find TURBO yeast in Oz? )

              thats some of the basics
              jestah
            • Monica
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                I guess this depends on the individual... but what is a good size for a still? (Can we puchase a still bigger than 5L in Australia.. or is that illegal even for water-purification purposes? :)

                How much vodka will a 5L still produce approximately?

                (thanks everyone in advance for all your answers!)
                ===Monica
                Hi

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                  Here goes my personal saga ;-)

                  I started with a 5L Still Spirits pot still, then upgraded to the
                  25L Super Reflux.. Spent about 6 months trying to improve the
                  output... without much success. (You can easily buy all these in
                  Australia..)

                  Checkout http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/

                  Bought the Plastic still from Greg Denehy, loved that unit... Then
                  finally bought the PDA-1, which i cant stop raving about... so i'll
                  try and shut up now ;-)

                  In my opinion the Still Spriits 25L boiler (can be bought in OZ from
                  most home brew stores) is pretty darn good. If your happy to have a
                  go at soldering then make your own column and condensor, if not then
                  you need to decide on which one to buy.

                  Ohh and to answer your question using the Turbo yeast packs you get
                  around 18%, usually you ferment 25L so there should be around 5L of
                  pure spirit which waters back to 10L at 50%... I only keep a very
                  pure middle cut so i only get about half that yield. Personally i'm
                  happy with that, no hangovers and no carbon... All good ;-)

                  What part of OZ are you from, you might find someone is local who
                  wouldn't mind showing you the ropes. I am starting to get a bunch
                  of people together in Canberra so we can compare tastes etc..
                  Something thats hard to do on the list.... ;-)

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:
                  > I guess this depends on the individual... but what is a good size
                  for a still? (Can we puchase a still bigger than 5L in Australia..
                  or is that illegal even for water-purification purposes? :)

                  > How much vodka will a 5L still produce approximately?
                  >

                  > (thanks everyone in advance for all your answers!)
                  > ===Monica
                  > Hi

                • Monica
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                    I'm up in Townsville, QLD

                    ...also, out of interest is it possible to purchase a licence for low-volume home distilling? Even if you do have to pay a tax... Something that would still not allow you to sell your produce.
                    I would guess not of course, but it never hurts to ask these things!

                    ===Monica
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2004
                      Well hopefully someone from up that way will contact you and show
                      you the ropes..

                      As for the license i was pretty keen to follow that up as well..
                      and basically no.. There are a couple of boutique breweries
                      opperating, but i'd suggest that the license fee is pretty
                      significant as they charge around the $80 for 500ml of spirits...!

                      Personally i wrestled with the ethics of the hobby and at the end of
                      the day decided to keep going. (I started and bought the gear
                      before i knew it was illegal here.)

                      The rules for staying out of trouble seems to be;
                      1. DONT EVER SELL YOUR PRODUCT (sorry in caps, but wanted to make
                      the point)
                      2. Only share with and tell close friends.
                      3. Don't get busted for doing anything else illegal.

                      From what i can tell if you follow those rules no one has
                      been "busted" in Australia for several generations...

                      Best of luck with your decision..

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:

                      > I'm up in Townsville, QLD
                      >
                      > ...also, out of interest is it possible to purchase a licence for
                      low-volume home distilling? Even if you do have to pay a tax...
                      Something that would still not allow you to sell your produce.
                      > I would guess not of course, but it never hurts to ask these
                      things!

                      > ===Monica
                    • Laurens W
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                        I spoke to a police friend of mine, He said to NEVER ADMIT that the rig is
                        for making alcohol, say it is for purifying water.

                        > Well hopefully someone from up that way will contact you and show
                        > you the ropes..
                        >
                        > As for the license i was pretty keen to follow that up as well..
                        > and basically no.. There are a couple of boutique breweries
                        > opperating, but i'd suggest that the license fee is pretty
                        > significant as they charge around the $80 for 500ml of spirits...!
                        >
                        > Personally i wrestled with the ethics of the hobby and at the end of
                        > the day decided to keep going. (I started and bought the gear
                        > before i knew it was illegal here.)
                        >
                        > The rules for staying out of trouble seems to be;
                        > 1. DONT EVER SELL YOUR PRODUCT (sorry in caps, but wanted to make
                        > the point)
                        > 2. Only share with and tell close friends.
                        > 3. Don't get busted for doing anything else illegal.
                        >
                        > From what i can tell if you follow those rules no one has
                        > been "busted" in Australia for several generations...
                        >
                        > Best of luck with your decision..
                        >

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica" <monica@a...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm up in Townsville, QLD
                        > >
                        > > ...also, out of interest is it possible to purchase a licence for
                        > low-volume home distilling? Even if you do have to pay a tax...
                        > Something that would still not allow you to sell your produce.
                        > > I would guess not of course, but it never hurts to ask these
                        > things!
                        > >
                        > > ===Monica

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Brain Solenoid
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Lauren,

                          The guy would have to be as inept as Inspector Jacques Clouseau to
                          miss the carboys of aging whiskey in my basement and not put 2 and 2
                          together! I reckon the books I have on distilling wouldn't tip him
                          off, either.

                          BS : )

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...>