Re: Historical whiskey, brandy, & rum.... What were they like?

  • Tarvus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, schwarzenduder
      <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:

      > Have any of you tried an all grain or all fruit or all molasses
      distillation (with no added processed sugars)? What was the result?

      I have done several all grain distillations and the results are
      exceptionally good - particularly when the distillate is aged in
      charred oak. Grain bills included a corn-barley malt and a corn-rye-
      barley malt composition.

      I have also done a rum but can't claim all molasses. I used the
      darkest dark brown sugar which has a lot of molasses added back to
      it. Not all rum is made from molasses - some uses pure cane juice.
      My assumption was that the dark brown sugar only has elements of pure
      cane in it so that when reconstituted with water, it in effect
      becomes like cane juice.

      Regardless, the rum was excellent. Again, aging on charred oak is a
      big plus.

      The critical thing when trying to make one of these is deciding where
      to start and end the cut. I used small jars to collect the
      distillate, numerically labeled the jars, then used taste and smell
      subjectively to determine how much of the early run to use and how
      much of the late run to blend into the final mix.

      best regards,
      Tarvus