RE: [new_distillers] Re: Still design

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2001
      Matt,

      > In the corn whiskey book (from which I'm getting the basic design),
      > the still head used is the one on the right labeled B. However,
      > looking around on the net, it would seem that more people have heads
      > that look like A. (The only difference between the two is the
      > reservoir created by using a T junction under the condenser instead
      > of a 90 degree bend.)
      >
      > Now the question. Which is best? Do you need the reservoir to be
      > able to control the Reflux volume? (i.e. will there always be more
      > reflux without the reservoir, because a volume will always flow
      > around the 'intake'?)

      Mine was a 'A' because the guy building it only had T junctions on hand, and
      we couldn't be bothered getting an elbow. I would have prefered a 'B' - the
      wee volume there is a hassle, particularly when trying to run the still at
      total reflux at the beginning of a run - I would much prefer that the liquid
      in the reservoir at that point in time were back in the column getting
      nicely purified, rather than sitting around. It probably is, eg being
      washed out fairly frequently, but its a nagging thought. I don't know about
      if a 'B' runs out of liquid or not - haven't heard of it happening.

      Tony
    • mobrien@zoology.uq.edu.au
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2001
        Tony,

        Thanks - that's kinda what I was thinking....

        > I don't know about if a 'B' runs out of liquid or not
        > - haven't heard of it happening.

        I can't imagine that occurring either - I figured it was better to
        ask the question and risk looking silly, rather than wishing I'd
        asked later on.

        And besides, 90 degree bends are cheaper than T's!

        Thanks again Tony - Now I'm onto building it! I'll post some photos
        when its done! (and then no doubt start asking questions about
        fermentation and distillation! - That's a warning in advance!)

        Matt

        P.S. I won't actually start putting it together till the end of the
        week, so if anyone can see any glaring holes in my proposed design,
        or has some insight into head design etc, please shout now!
      • Cuichulain Setanta
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 22, 2005
          I've become pretty interested in distilling as a sort of intellectual
          challenge, although the end product was a motivation too!

          I've been putting together a still from bits and pieces I have...
          ahem... aquired from working in various labs. I'd figured out most of
          the hurdles before I found this excellent group, which helped me
          polish off a final design. I thought I'd better run it past more
          experienced eyes before having a stab at it.

          http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/771c15c8/bc/Still+Des
          ign.jpg?bfpZ6GCBIPDXN1J9

          Sorry for the poor quality, I had to bash it off in MS Paint.

          The problems, as far as I can see, are a small distillation vessell (a
          mere 3 litres) and a narrow condensing column (probably only 30-40mm),
          but I should be able to reduce the power quite easily.

          I was also wondering about other factors too... I have a dropper
          funnell on the distillation flask which means I'll be able to add
          fresh wash, without stopping the distillation. Would this add an
          unacceptable about of methanol, though?

          Also, I was thinking of wrapping the outlet pipe of the Liebig
          condenser around the top of the air condenser in order to improve the
          reflux ratio. Is this a good idea?

          Oh yes, and the packing will be pot scrubbers.

          Thanks guys... any comments, suggestions or howls of derision will be
          much appreciated.
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 22, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
            <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:

            > I've become pretty interested in distilling as a sort of
            intellectual
            > challenge, although the end product was a motivation too!

            .............Medico's & booze don't mix (but it's fun anyways). :-)

            > I've been putting together a still from bits and pieces I have...
            > ahem... aquired from working in various labs.

            .......................I'd imagine that would be some pretty schmick
            gear, Robert. Just don't tell Dr. Bridger you've got it. :-))

            I'd figured out most of
            > the hurdles before I found this excellent group, which helped me
            > polish off a final design. I thought I'd better run it past more
            > experienced eyes before having a stab at it.
            >
            > http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/771c15c8/bc/Still+Des
            > ign.jpg?bfpZ6GCBIPDXN1J9

            ......................Can't access it.

            <snip>

            > Thanks guys... any comments, suggestions or howls of derision will
            be
            > much appreciated.

            ............Post the pics here in photos. Then we'll howl or
            otherwise. ;)

            Moderator
          • Cuichulain Setanta
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
              > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
              >

              > > I've been putting together a still from bits and pieces I have...
              > > ahem... aquired from working in various labs.
              >

              > .......................I'd imagine that would be some pretty schmick
              > gear, Robert. Just don't tell Dr. Bridger you've got it. :-))

              Well... bare with me a second while I recover from this coronary.

              That's rather knocked the wind out of my sails, to say the very least!

              [Blanket denial]
              Not from this lab, obviously! Heaven forbid, couldn't be farther from
              my thoughts, so on and so forth... far too much respect for the
              university for that kind of petty larceny
              [/Blanket denial]

              How? How did you know? I'm really in a quandry... if your attempt was
              to soundly do me over, you have succeded, and in fine style too, may I
              say. Who are you, though? It's not fair to leave me in the dark after
              such a shock! :)

              Anyways, I shall try and post my picture to the photos segment after
              I've had a little something for the shock

              _______________
              The now-unmasked Robert...
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
                <snip>

                > How? How did you know? I'm really in a quandry... if your attempt
                was
                > to soundly do me over, you have succeded, and in fine style too,
                may I
                > say. Who are you, though? It's not fair to leave me in the dark
                after
                > such a shock! :)
                >

                > Anyways, I shall try and post my picture to the photos segment
                after
                > I've had a little something for the shock
                >

                > _______________
                > The now-unmasked Robert...

                Welcome to the groups, Robert.
                I 'could' have fun with this for days. Mental visions of you
                peering over your shoulder at lectures, wondering just who the hell
                is watching. But I won't do that. I've had my fun :-))

                I'm on the other side of the world to you. Cairns Qld Australia.
                Harry, Groups Moderator, at your service. :)
                There's a wee bio on my website, the alcohol library...

              • Cuichulain Setanta
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
                  > Welcome to the groups, Robert.
                  > I 'could' have fun with this for days. Mental visions of you
                  > peering over your shoulder at lectures, wondering just who the hell
                  > is watching. But I won't do that. I've had my fun :-))
                  >
                  > I'm on the other side of the world to you. Cairns Qld Australia.
                  > Harry, Groups Moderator, at your service. :)
                  > There's a wee bio on my website, the alcohol library...
                  > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  I managed to get that much from the site listed in your profile... I
                  also realised that I had, very stupidly, listed a site containing my
                  name in my own profile. Rank, unforgivable stupidity... in my defense,
                  the site didn't contain my name when I added it to my Yahoo profile.

                  The only thing I didn't get is how you came up with the name Dr.
                  Bridger? It is possible to get a staff list from my uni site, but it's
                  been difficult when I've tried to get the email address of lecturers.
                  Also, you'd have to know what departement I'm in... there's not many
                  that would give me access to labs, but it was still a good guess, I
                  thought.

                  Anyway, fair play to you... you certainly gave me a damn good fright!

                  And it's Rob, btw... another thing that confused me! Who would know me
                  well enough to know my lecturers but still call me Robert!?

                  Anyways, what do you reckon to the still? It's now listed under 'Still
                  design' in the photos section. Likely to kill me?

                  Rob
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                    <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
                    <snip>

                    > The only thing I didn't get is how you came up with the name Dr.
                    > Bridger? It is possible to get a staff list from my uni site, but
                    it's
                    > been difficult when I've tried to get the email address of
                    lecturers.
                    > Also, you'd have to know what departement I'm in... there's not
                    many
                    > that would give me access to labs, but it was still a good guess, I
                    > thought.
                    >
                    > Anyway, fair play to you... you certainly gave me a damn good
                    fright!

                    > And it's Rob, btw... another thing that confused me! Who would
                    know me
                    > well enough to know my lecturers but still call me Robert!?
                    >

                    > Anyways, what do you reckon to the still? It's now listed
                    under 'Still
                    > design' in the photos section. Likely to kill me?
                    >

                    > Rob

                    Yep, it's a straight-out column & liebig setup. Fill the column
                    with copper pot scrubbers. Check 'em with a magnet & penknife, some
                    are coloured plastic. That will give you very good separation and
                    virtually eliminate nasties. The copper reacts with them. Adjust
                    your power input downward if the head temp isn't stable at about 78
                    to 79°C. 900w is adequate for your rig.

                    re your other questions....check you email a/c at uni. :)

                  • Cuichulain Setanta
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                      > Yep, it's a straight-out column & liebig setup. Fill the column
                      > with copper pot scrubbers. Check 'em with a magnet & penknife, some
                      > are coloured plastic. That will give you very good separation and
                      > virtually eliminate nasties. The copper reacts with them. Adjust
                      > your power input downward if the head temp isn't stable at about 78
                      > to 79°C. 900w is adequate for your rig.
                      >
                      > re your other questions....check you email a/c at uni. :)
                      >
                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                      My pot scrubbers are stainless steel, I don't actually have any
                      copper. How important is it to have it?

                      I'll keep a look out but I don't remember seeing any copper scrubbers
                      round here
                    • suitcase1499@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 23, 2005
                        In a message dated 2/23/2005 11:15:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        thephantombatterpuddinghurler@... writes:

                        I'll keep a look out but I don't remember seeing any copper scrubbers
                        round here

                        If you are closetoa Bi-Lo or Ingles Supermarket they carry Brawny Copper pot
                        scrubbers 100% all copper.

                        Suitcase

                      • brandymaker12
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 22, 2012
                          We have a column still, 2 inch column about 3ft long.its a good still and runs like it should for that size.
                          My question is to have a higher out put still would it be better to go to a 3,4 inch column or a taller 2 inch? Would a larger condenser make a big difference?
                          2nd question, what can I insulate the column with that won't burn?

                          Thanks!
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 24, 2012
                            Wider give more capacity. Taller gives better separation (purity). Bigger condensers handle more heat transfer (cooling).

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brandymaker12" <brandymaker12@...> wrote:

                            > We have a column still, 2 inch column about 3ft long.its a good still and runs like it should for that size.
                            > My question is to have a higher out put still would it be better to go to a 3,4 inch column or a taller 2 inch? Would a larger condenser make a big difference?
                            > 2nd question, what can I insulate the column with that won't burn?
                            >
                            > Thanks!

                          • grandview06 tds.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 24, 2012
                              Thanks Harry, for the information!