Re: [new_distillers] getting started

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
      On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:48:45PM -0500, Michael Spottswood wrote:
      > I am getting started here and need some advice.
      > I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having trouble with
      > the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old baker's
      > yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone has any
      > recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for sugar in the
      > USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for anything
      > that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or quality,
      > for I am not going to consume it.

      exactly! that's what I tell everyone, too :)

      well the real problem you're going to find with a yeast+sugar only blend is
      the lack of nutrients for the yeast, and not just the fact that you were
      using baker's yeast. If you're looking for a clean, high alcohol ferment
      try some wine/champagne yeast like Lalvin EC-1118 or search for Red Star
      Dry Active Distiller's Yeast. But above all, it's about the nutrients when
      it comes to using refined sugar as your wort. Your first step is to read
      Tony's site http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

      Matthew @ psibercom
    • martyn scothern
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
        i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please help me

      • Matthew Garner
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
          homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
          most would agree hat is is by far the best site for beginners
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, martyn scothern
          <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
          > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
          help me

        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
            Martyn, on that site check out the tea kettle still, it works until you get something better. That is what I'm doing and am pleased with the simplicity and results. Its under Pot Still Designs. Rana

            Matthew Garner <mgarner@...> wrote:homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
            <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
            > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
            help me

            ttp://archive.nnytech.net/