Re: getting started

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      Michael,

      There certainly must be some brewshops in the usa, maybe you should
      have a look around. Otherwise, if you got access to some lab-
      equipment (nothing to fancy, just some glasware) you could try and
      culture yeast from a bottle of beer, try some imported belgian beer
      or so, look for trappist or something like that and hold the bottle
      up the light, you should see some sediment at the bottom, that's good
      yeast which probably will yield you higher alcohol then bakers yeast.

      You can use a rather dificult agar-plate method of culturing, but you
      could also just pour of most of the beer, give it a good swirl, flame
      the neck of the bottle, pour it in an erlenmeyer or one of those old
      milk-bottles and add some mild sugar-wash (250ml water, 50 gram
      sugar, half a teaspoon yeast-nutrient and half a teaspoon of di-
      ammonium phosphate, boil it all and let it cool down to 24°c before
      you add it to the beer sediment). swirl vigorously and close the
      bottle with some cotton or a rubber stopper with an airlock. In a few
      days it should have started bubbling, this is your starter.

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "Michael Spottswood" <mikespotts@h...>
      wrote:
      > I am getting started here and need some advice.
      > I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having
      trouble with
      > the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old
      baker's
      > yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone
      has any
      > recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for
      sugar in the
      > USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for
      anything
      > that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or
      quality,
      > for I am not going to consume it.
      > Thank You
      > Mike

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
        On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:48:45PM -0500, Michael Spottswood wrote:
        > I am getting started here and need some advice.
        > I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having trouble with
        > the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old baker's
        > yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone has any
        > recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for sugar in the
        > USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for anything
        > that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or quality,
        > for I am not going to consume it.

        exactly! that's what I tell everyone, too :)

        well the real problem you're going to find with a yeast+sugar only blend is
        the lack of nutrients for the yeast, and not just the fact that you were
        using baker's yeast. If you're looking for a clean, high alcohol ferment
        try some wine/champagne yeast like Lalvin EC-1118 or search for Red Star
        Dry Active Distiller's Yeast. But above all, it's about the nutrients when
        it comes to using refined sugar as your wort. Your first step is to read
        Tony's site http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • martyn scothern
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
          i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please help me

        • Matthew Garner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
            homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
            most would agree hat is is by far the best site for beginners
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, martyn scothern
            <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
            > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
            help me

          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
              Martyn, on that site check out the tea kettle still, it works until you get something better. That is what I'm doing and am pleased with the simplicity and results. Its under Pot Still Designs. Rana

              Matthew Garner <mgarner@...> wrote:homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
              <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
              > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
              help me

              ttp://archive.nnytech.net/