getting started

  • Michael Spottswood
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2001
      I am getting started here and need some advice.
      I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having trouble with
      the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old baker's
      yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone has any
      recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for sugar in the
      USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for anything
      that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or quality,
      for I am not going to consume it.
      Thank You
      Mike

    • Steven
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
        Michael,

        There certainly must be some brewshops in the usa, maybe you should
        have a look around. Otherwise, if you got access to some lab-
        equipment (nothing to fancy, just some glasware) you could try and
        culture yeast from a bottle of beer, try some imported belgian beer
        or so, look for trappist or something like that and hold the bottle
        up the light, you should see some sediment at the bottom, that's good
        yeast which probably will yield you higher alcohol then bakers yeast.

        You can use a rather dificult agar-plate method of culturing, but you
        could also just pour of most of the beer, give it a good swirl, flame
        the neck of the bottle, pour it in an erlenmeyer or one of those old
        milk-bottles and add some mild sugar-wash (250ml water, 50 gram
        sugar, half a teaspoon yeast-nutrient and half a teaspoon of di-
        ammonium phosphate, boil it all and let it cool down to 24°c before
        you add it to the beer sediment). swirl vigorously and close the
        bottle with some cotton or a rubber stopper with an airlock. In a few
        days it should have started bubbling, this is your starter.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Michael Spottswood" <mikespotts@h...>
        wrote:
        > I am getting started here and need some advice.
        > I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having
        trouble with
        > the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old
        baker's
        > yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone
        has any
        > recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for
        sugar in the
        > USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for
        anything
        > that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or
        quality,
        > for I am not going to consume it.
        > Thank You
        > Mike

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
          On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:48:45PM -0500, Michael Spottswood wrote:
          > I am getting started here and need some advice.
          > I am going to start with a pot still design, but I am having trouble with
          > the yeast for fermentation. The only yeast I can find is plain old baker's
          > yeast, which yields nothing in plain granulated sugar. If anyone has any
          > recepies for baker's yeast or a source for distillers yeast for sugar in the
          > USA, I would appreciate it. To start with, I am just looking for anything
          > that comes out of the still. It doesn't need to be any flavor or quality,
          > for I am not going to consume it.

          exactly! that's what I tell everyone, too :)

          well the real problem you're going to find with a yeast+sugar only blend is
          the lack of nutrients for the yeast, and not just the fact that you were
          using baker's yeast. If you're looking for a clean, high alcohol ferment
          try some wine/champagne yeast like Lalvin EC-1118 or search for Red Star
          Dry Active Distiller's Yeast. But above all, it's about the nutrients when
          it comes to using refined sugar as your wort. Your first step is to read
          Tony's site http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller

          Matthew @ psibercom
        • martyn scothern
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
            i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please help me

          • Matthew Garner
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
              homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
              most would agree hat is is by far the best site for beginners
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, martyn scothern
              <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
              > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
              help me

            • Rana Pipiens
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
                Martyn, on that site check out the tea kettle still, it works until you get something better. That is what I'm doing and am pleased with the simplicity and results. Its under Pot Still Designs. Rana

                Matthew Garner <mgarner@...> wrote:homedistiller.org u can even d/l there full webpage
                <martynscothern@y...> wrote:
                > i just need the basics on how to get started, can somebody please
                help me

                ttp://archive.nnytech.net/