RE: Filtering...getting rid of the carbon

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2004
      Maybe you do or maybe you don't but do you have access at all to
      laboratory grade filter paper. Maybe even proper wine filter paper
      (never tried it myself). Works a treat and if you only want to remove
      carbon and not other nasties you can rinse the paper, hang it on the
      line and then reuse it a few times.
      Another way that may work that I have read about in india is filtering
      water through pure silk. Apparently it removes some of the nasty tummy
      bugs they have in the water over there and I would have thought it to be
      immune to alcohol. I would have thought carbon was bigger than those
      bugs. Tip; don't try this with your mums/other half's favourite sarong.
      Have a good one,
      Leigh.

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:32:16 -0000
      From: "Paul" <starman_from_oz@...>
      Subject: Filtering...getting rid of the carbon

      Hello All

      I've been searching through all the messages (from #1) looking for a
      better way to filter the carbon out of the spirit. I've been looking
      for 3 hrs, maybe I missed a post from someone offering a solution.

      At the moment, following advice from a local brewing shop, I use
      tissues in a coffee filter. This causes a lot of waste. I am
      wondering (hoping) that there is a more efficient way.

      I have heard about using brita type filters, but are they safe.

      Regards to you all

      Paul
    • woof117
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2004