Re: Problem Solving: Yeast

  • cheeperdrunk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
      My wash was 25 litres with 6kg of sugar. I used fermaid K (50g) and
      EC1118
      (100g) and just pitched both together.

      next wash add 23 liters with 3 kg sugar warmed to 80f and mixed well,
      start the yeast in a glass or jar per. instructions. after the yeast
      has waited the 15 min. toss it into the wash. Stop and cover. after
      12-24 hours open and stir, after about 5-7 days add 3 kg sugar to 2
      liters of warm water and toss in and mix for a total of 25 liters
      only about 30 gm of ec1118 is needed. and 1 tsp. of fermax per. 3
      liters make sure all is well mixed

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "The Ooz" <theooz@h...> wrote:
      > I'm trying to problem solve my use of EC1118 Yeast.
      >
      > Although I was successful in using a starter, and the fermentation
      certainly
      > started, activity in the wash declined slowly over time before
      being almost
      > non-existant.
      >
      > Some people have mentioned the use of a yeast and fermaid K is
      enough to get
      > to the magic 990 mark, however I haven't found that to be correct
      in my
      > case.
      >
      > My wash was 25 litres with 6kg of sugar. I used fermaid K (50g) and
      EC1118
      > (100g) and just pitched both together.
      >
      > After 2 weeks the specific gravity is 1050 so not much has happened.
      >
      > One thing which may have contributed to the demise was that the
      yeast was
      > left in my letterbox for almost an entire day around the 38 degrees
      C mark.
      > So maybe some of most of the yeast was killed (my poor babies)
      hence lack of
      > fermentation.
      >
      > Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.
      >

      > Adam

      > Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium.
      Click here
      > http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp
    • Mark Little
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hi Adam, I think you are right in the assumption that some
        of the yeast was killed in your letterbox and I presume if
        your letterbox was that hot then the fermenter also runs
        fairly hot, most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
        MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
        brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
        weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the already
        weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
        COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
        bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
        Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
        litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
        starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back to
        ( a cooler ) main batch.

        Mark

[...]

      • The Ooz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Mark,

          thanks for the advice. I just kept the fermenter within the fermentation
          temp listed on the site of the manufacturer. Most of the time it remained at
          about 25C.

          I have a temperature-controlled fridge I use for fermenting my beer which
          gives me control to +40C so if you give me the specific temperature I can
          match it! I love these gadgets.

          I did use the 'starter' technique as you mention below, however only got a
          bit of bubbling for the next few days before it slowed right down again.

          Any ideas on what length the fermentation period should be with this yeast?
          Do you use this specific strain?

          Adam

          most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
          >MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
          >brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
          >weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the already
          >weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
          >COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
          >bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
          >Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
          >litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
          >starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back to
          >( a cooler ) main batch.
          >
          >Mark

        • Mark Little
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
            Hi Adam, while I don't use that strain ( High Alc Turbos
            work very well for me, albeit at more expense ) I would
            recommend sticking nearer to the lowest recommended temp
            rather than the upper temp, especially if aiming for max
            alcohol content. 25C sounds good tho most wine yeast tend to
            top out around this temp. One thing I have noticed with a
            controlled cabinet is that the actual temp in the centre of
            the barrel can be quite different/hotter than the air temp
            inside the cabinet, is it possible to tape? the thermostat
            to the barrel and insulate to give a more accurate reading
            of barrel temp ( if its not already done). When working
            hard, as in an all sugar brew, yeast can generate quite a
            lot of heat ( especially with a good dose of nutrients as
            you have correctly used) and this can take a bit of
            controlling, warmer start/ambient temp = more heat added by
            yeast. As far as this particular brew goes maybe cut your
            losses and distil anyway, with so much unused sugar this
            will cause LOTS of foaming so keep the level inside the
            still low to prevent foam going anywhere it shouldn't. If
            you used a high sugar ratio you have probably used 1/2 to
            3/4 of the sugar and should still get 3 or 4 litres ???? of
            drinkable spirit.
            Good Luck
            Mark

            Hi Mark,

            thanks for the advice. I just kept the fermenter within
            the fermentation
            temp listed on the site of the manufacturer. Most of the
            time it remained at
            about 25C.

            I have a temperature-controlled fridge I use for
            fermenting my beer which
            gives me control to +40C so if you give me the specific
            temperature I can
            match it! I love these gadgets.

            I did use the 'starter' technique as you mention below,
            however only got a
            bit of bubbling for the next few days before it slowed
            right down again.

            Any ideas on what length the fermentation period should be
            with this yeast?
            Do you use this specific strain?

            Adam

            most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
            >MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
            >brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
            >weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the
            already
            >weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
            >COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
            >bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
            >Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
            >litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
            >starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back
            >( a cooler ) main batch.
            >
            >Mark

          • barjarg2003
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
              Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
              messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
              consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
              information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to poison
              myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is better
              than the bought stuff.
              If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
              contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it may
              make life a little easier ;)

              Luck with your Brew
              Craig>

            • dr_tucks
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                Hi Guilty ozzie,
                Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                id love to have a list of your contacts.
                Thank you,

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003" <barjarg@c...>
                wrote:
                > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
                > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                poison
                > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is better
                > than the bought stuff.
                > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
                > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it may
                > make life a little easier ;)
                >
                > Luck with your Brew
                > Craig>

              • imbibed2
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                  Hi another ozzie here "dr_tucks" talk about tight arse tours you
                  take the cake mate (no offence) I run 2 x 25 litres of wash at a
                  time put in a packet of turbo and leave it, but with the quality of
                  water it takes more than 10 days, doing a few different trials at
                  the mowment to improve it advice from Hawraki Brewind in nz. Would
                  be interested to know what turbo you are using from you and "Guilty
                  ozzie?

                  Cheers
                  imbibed2
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Guilty ozzie,
                  > Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                  > id love to have a list of your contacts.
                  > Thank you,
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003"
                  <barjarg@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
                  > > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                  > > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                  > > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                  > poison
                  > > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is
                  better
                  > > than the bought stuff.
                  > > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
                  > > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it
                  may
                  > > make life a little easier ;)
                  > >
                  > > Luck with your Brew
                  > > Craig>

                • dr_tucks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "imbibed2"
                    <nickandwendy@w...> wrote:
                    > Hi another ozzie here "dr_tucks" talk about tight arse tours you
                    > take the cake mate (no offence) I run 2 x 25 litres of wash at a
                    > time put in a packet of turbo and leave it, but with the quality
                    of
                    > water it takes more than 10 days, doing a few different trials at
                    > the mowment to improve it advice from Hawraki Brewind in nz. Would
                    > be interested to know what turbo you are using from you
                    and "Guilty
                    > ozzie?
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > imbibed2
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Hi Guilty ozzie,
                    > > Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                    > > id love to have a list of your contacts.
                    > > Thank you,
                    > >

                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003"
                    > <barjarg@c...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been
                    reading
                    > > > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                    > > > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                    > > > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                    > > poison
                    > > > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is
                    > better
                    > > > than the bought stuff.
                    > > > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a
                    few
                    > > > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it
                    > may
                    > > > make life a little easier ;)
                    > > >
                    > > > Luck with your Brew
                    > > > Craig>

                  • dr_tucks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                      i use still spirits turbo yeast because it has a good operational

                      temperature range of 15 to 28c (no waterbed heat pad at almost a
                      dollar a day. In keeping with the motto and all! ).As well as being
                      able to take 8kg of dex or sugar. this is a great yeast for
                      victorians who brew in gal sheds. Queenslanders need SS temp
                      tollerant yeast 15-40c unless they have air cond. Dont worry about
                      the rubbish on the side of the pack unless you want the added
                      expense of heat pads. If your in that much of a rush 365 dollars a
                      year buys two extra barrels (grin) lots of yeast and sugar or dex,
                      and a whole lot of yeast {its just the strain i want to strech not
                      the empty retail packs.)
                      Mine takes approx 13 days to finish and bar stirring in yeast at
                      around 25c for two minutes pop on the lid and leave it until
                      finished, if its colder it will take longer. No rush when theres
                      always a barrel or two finished.