Problem Solving: Yeast

  • The Ooz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
      I'm trying to problem solve my use of EC1118 Yeast.

      Although I was successful in using a starter, and the fermentation certainly
      started, activity in the wash declined slowly over time before being almost
      non-existant.

      Some people have mentioned the use of a yeast and fermaid K is enough to get
      to the magic 990 mark, however I haven't found that to be correct in my
      case.

      My wash was 25 litres with 6kg of sugar. I used fermaid K (50g) and EC1118
      (100g) and just pitched both together.

      After 2 weeks the specific gravity is 1050 so not much has happened.

      One thing which may have contributed to the demise was that the yeast was
      left in my letterbox for almost an entire day around the 38 degrees C mark.
      So maybe some of most of the yeast was killed (my poor babies) hence lack of
      fermentation.

      Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

      Adam

      Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Click here
    • cheeperdrunk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
        My wash was 25 litres with 6kg of sugar. I used fermaid K (50g) and
        EC1118
        (100g) and just pitched both together.

        next wash add 23 liters with 3 kg sugar warmed to 80f and mixed well,
        start the yeast in a glass or jar per. instructions. after the yeast
        has waited the 15 min. toss it into the wash. Stop and cover. after
        12-24 hours open and stir, after about 5-7 days add 3 kg sugar to 2
        liters of warm water and toss in and mix for a total of 25 liters
        only about 30 gm of ec1118 is needed. and 1 tsp. of fermax per. 3
        liters make sure all is well mixed

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "The Ooz" <theooz@h...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to problem solve my use of EC1118 Yeast.
        >
        > Although I was successful in using a starter, and the fermentation
        certainly
        > started, activity in the wash declined slowly over time before
        being almost
        > non-existant.
        >
        > Some people have mentioned the use of a yeast and fermaid K is
        enough to get
        > to the magic 990 mark, however I haven't found that to be correct
        in my
        > case.
        >
        > My wash was 25 litres with 6kg of sugar. I used fermaid K (50g) and
        EC1118
        > (100g) and just pitched both together.
        >
        > After 2 weeks the specific gravity is 1050 so not much has happened.
        >
        > One thing which may have contributed to the demise was that the
        yeast was
        > left in my letterbox for almost an entire day around the 38 degrees
        C mark.
        > So maybe some of most of the yeast was killed (my poor babies)
        hence lack of
        > fermentation.
        >
        > Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.
        >

        > Adam

        > Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium.
        Click here
        > http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp
      • Mark Little
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Adam, I think you are right in the assumption that some
          of the yeast was killed in your letterbox and I presume if
          your letterbox was that hot then the fermenter also runs
          fairly hot, most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
          MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
          brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
          weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the already
          weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
          COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
          bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
          Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
          litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
          starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back to
          ( a cooler ) main batch.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
            Hi Mark,

            thanks for the advice. I just kept the fermenter within the fermentation
            temp listed on the site of the manufacturer. Most of the time it remained at
            about 25C.

            I have a temperature-controlled fridge I use for fermenting my beer which
            gives me control to +40C so if you give me the specific temperature I can
            match it! I love these gadgets.

            I did use the 'starter' technique as you mention below, however only got a
            bit of bubbling for the next few days before it slowed right down again.

            Any ideas on what length the fermentation period should be with this yeast?
            Do you use this specific strain?

            Adam

            most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
            >MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
            >brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
            >weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the already
            >weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
            >COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
            >bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
            >Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
            >litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
            >starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back to
            >( a cooler ) main batch.
            >
            >Mark

          • Mark Little
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
              Hi Adam, while I don't use that strain ( High Alc Turbos
              work very well for me, albeit at more expense ) I would
              recommend sticking nearer to the lowest recommended temp
              rather than the upper temp, especially if aiming for max
              alcohol content. 25C sounds good tho most wine yeast tend to
              top out around this temp. One thing I have noticed with a
              controlled cabinet is that the actual temp in the centre of
              the barrel can be quite different/hotter than the air temp
              inside the cabinet, is it possible to tape? the thermostat
              to the barrel and insulate to give a more accurate reading
              of barrel temp ( if its not already done). When working
              hard, as in an all sugar brew, yeast can generate quite a
              lot of heat ( especially with a good dose of nutrients as
              you have correctly used) and this can take a bit of
              controlling, warmer start/ambient temp = more heat added by
              yeast. As far as this particular brew goes maybe cut your
              losses and distil anyway, with so much unused sugar this
              will cause LOTS of foaming so keep the level inside the
              still low to prevent foam going anywhere it shouldn't. If
              you used a high sugar ratio you have probably used 1/2 to
              3/4 of the sugar and should still get 3 or 4 litres ???? of
              drinkable spirit.
              Good Luck
              Mark

              Hi Mark,

              thanks for the advice. I just kept the fermenter within
              the fermentation
              temp listed on the site of the manufacturer. Most of the
              time it remained at
              about 25C.

              I have a temperature-controlled fridge I use for
              fermenting my beer which
              gives me control to +40C so if you give me the specific
              temperature I can
              match it! I love these gadgets.

              I did use the 'starter' technique as you mention below,
              however only got a
              bit of bubbling for the next few days before it slowed
              right down again.

              Any ideas on what length the fermentation period should be
              with this yeast?
              Do you use this specific strain?

              Adam

              most wine yeast prefers around 20C ( there are
              >MANY exceptions but generally cooler is better). If the
              >brew gets too hot in the first few days the yeast is
              >weakened and then when the alcohol level gets up the
              already
              >weak yeast can tend to give up and settle out. Try for a
              >COOL start temp and if necessary drop a few frozen PET
              >bottles into the bin as needed to help control the temp.
              >Theres a chance of restarting this batch by taking out a
              >litre, diluting said litre 50/50 with water and getting a
              >starter bottle going with fresh yeast then adding back
              >( a cooler ) main batch.
              >
              >Mark

            • barjarg2003
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
                Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
                messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to poison
                myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is better
                than the bought stuff.
                If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
                contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it may
                make life a little easier ;)

                Luck with your Brew
                Craig>

              • dr_tucks
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                  Hi Guilty ozzie,
                  Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                  id love to have a list of your contacts.
                  Thank you,

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003" <barjarg@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
                  > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                  > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                  > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                  poison
                  > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is better
                  > than the bought stuff.
                  > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
                  > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it may
                  > make life a little easier ;)
                  >
                  > Luck with your Brew
                  > Craig>

                • imbibed2
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                    Hi another ozzie here "dr_tucks" talk about tight arse tours you
                    take the cake mate (no offence) I run 2 x 25 litres of wash at a
                    time put in a packet of turbo and leave it, but with the quality of
                    water it takes more than 10 days, doing a few different trials at
                    the mowment to improve it advice from Hawraki Brewind in nz. Would
                    be interested to know what turbo you are using from you and "Guilty
                    ozzie?

                    Cheers
                    imbibed2
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Guilty ozzie,
                    > Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                    > id love to have a list of your contacts.
                    > Thank you,
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003"
                    <barjarg@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been reading
                    > > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                    > > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                    > > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                    > poison
                    > > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is
                    better
                    > > than the bought stuff.
                    > > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a few
                    > > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it
                    may
                    > > make life a little easier ;)
                    > >
                    > > Luck with your Brew
                    > > Craig>

                  • dr_tucks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "imbibed2"
                      <nickandwendy@w...> wrote:
                      > Hi another ozzie here "dr_tucks" talk about tight arse tours you
                      > take the cake mate (no offence) I run 2 x 25 litres of wash at a
                      > time put in a packet of turbo and leave it, but with the quality
                      of
                      > water it takes more than 10 days, doing a few different trials at
                      > the mowment to improve it advice from Hawraki Brewind in nz. Would
                      > be interested to know what turbo you are using from you
                      and "Guilty
                      > ozzie?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > imbibed2
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hi Guilty ozzie,
                      > > Dr Tux from tight arse tours here,
                      > > id love to have a list of your contacts.
                      > > Thank you,
                      > >

                      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "barjarg2003"
                      > <barjarg@c...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > Hello everyone, i feel a bit guilty because i have been
                      reading
                      > > > messages sent to and from the group for the last 18 months and
                      > > > consider myself a reasonable ;) distiller because of all the
                      > > > information i have GLEANED in this time ( have not managed to
                      > > poison
                      > > > myself or my friends yet ) and everybody says my bourbon is
                      > better
                      > > > than the bought stuff.
                      > > > If anybody in Aust is looking for supplies - i have quite a
                      few
                      > > > contacts that i am more than happy to share with everybody, it
                      > may
                      > > > make life a little easier ;)
                      > > >
                      > > > Luck with your Brew
                      > > > Craig>

                    • dr_tucks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 29, 2004
                        i use still spirits turbo yeast because it has a good operational

                        temperature range of 15 to 28c (no waterbed heat pad at almost a
                        dollar a day. In keeping with the motto and all! ).As well as being
                        able to take 8kg of dex or sugar. this is a great yeast for
                        victorians who brew in gal sheds. Queenslanders need SS temp
                        tollerant yeast 15-40c unless they have air cond. Dont worry about
                        the rubbish on the side of the pack unless you want the added
                        expense of heat pads. If your in that much of a rush 365 dollars a
                        year buys two extra barrels (grin) lots of yeast and sugar or dex,
                        and a whole lot of yeast {its just the strain i want to strech not
                        the empty retail packs.)
                        Mine takes approx 13 days to finish and bar stirring in yeast at
                        around 25c for two minutes pop on the lid and leave it until
                        finished, if its colder it will take longer. No rush when theres
                        always a barrel or two finished.