Re: First Run - Experiences

  • dark_taet
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
      Mate congradulations....!

      Firstly as an introduction, i am pretty fussy about getting pure
      spirit, as well as being REALLY lazy.. ;-)

      What i normally do is make two lots of wash ie 50L do two lots of
      stripping then one final run. (I have a 60L drum which i add 8kg of
      sugar one table spoon of tomato paste (food for the yeasties) and
      ONE packet of turbo yeast, stir vigoursly... try and get lots of air
      into the water. Leave the lid off and come back the next day and
      add another 6Kg of sugar and give it another stir and then seal the
      lid.)

      Stripping runs straight into a flagon or a mash bucket.

      Then when i am taking the main run i put a old 700ml bottle in a 2L
      container (that way if i miss it doesn't matter), take it 700ml at a
      time. I usually stop around 85-90c.

      This way i have less hassel in cleaning also i find the first couple
      of bottles have a slight contamination i dont like so i dont use
      them for my spirits. I also dont use the last 2 or 3 bottles.

      Some add them back to the next run to get out the "little" extra bit
      of ethanol... Eventually you will end up with 10L of heads/tails
      like me that you finally through away, or add blue dye and hand out
      as window cleaner, or use in a dual fuel stove etc etc.

      I never need carbon these days and overall am very happy with the
      final product.

      Ohhhh and if your into the flavours like me try buying some of the
      oak chips and add it... After 4 weeks drink and go WOW...!

      Matt
    • dark_taet
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
        Ohhh how embarrasing...

        I forgot, after the stripping runs and before the main run i give it
        a thorough clean.

        I used to use dishwashing power, leave it overnight worked REALLY
        well, but got concerned that it might leave some nasties, so have
        switched to vinegar.

        Matt
      • Laurens W
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
          That's great, which Still R U using, is it the Vapour Management Still?

          and do you also treat the packing with vinegar? are you using the
          structured copper packing?
          > I forgot, after the stripping runs and before the main run i give it
          > a thorough clean.
          >
          > I used to use dishwashing power, leave it overnight worked REALLY
          > well, but got concerned that it might leave some nasties, so have
          > switched to vinegar.
          >
          > Matt

          > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • dark_taet
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
            I bought a Still Spirits boiler 25L with a 1380W element, then
            thanks to a VERY nice guy added a Sutronics controller do my run at
            around 700w.

            My column etc is the PDA-1, i have tried all sorts of
            alternatives... I REALLY love VM particularly for new people, the
            downfall i see is when trying to get flavours etc to come through.

            The PDA-1 gives me the flexibility to play with flavours and it
            packs into a sexy case etc. The price tag is pretty scarey, but i
            was more than happy to pay considering the effort the two mikes put
            in.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...>