Re: First Run - Experiences

  • jimpuchai
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "The Ooz" <theooz@h...> wrote:
      > I thought I'd share my first run experience so that others can
      learn from
      > it, and so that I can get some more tips to improve my procedure.
      >
      > The Gear
      >
      > I have built an EL still as per the plans on homedistiller.org.
      The still
      > has a power controller (Sutronics) and the boiler is a 20Litre urn.
      >
      > The Process
      >
      > After some stuffing around, I ended up with a 25 litre sugar wash
      at 18
      > percent. I decided to do a stripping run first based on
      suggestions made in
      > this group. I put about 18 litres in and ran my still at high
      power (2.4kW
      > element) until I had about 3 litres of clear liquid. I then ran it
      again
      > with the remaining part of the wash thrown in as well.
      >
      > I ended up with 6 litres of spirit (I'm not sure how much I should
      have had
      > at this point, but any advice appreciated). I was fairly vague in
      my
      > settings but decided to stop the run when my thermometer was at
      about 98
      > degrees. I measured the alcohol in the clearer liquid and it was
      at 60%.

      > The next day (and not having cleaned my still) I put the 6 litres
      plus 2
      > litres of tap water in my boiler and started again. This time I
      was very
      > fussy with my temperature and had the still running at exactly 78
      degrees
      > for 10 minutes before starting to draw off the spirit. I collected
      about
      > 100ml of foreshots and set them aside (my mate wants it for some
      reason). I
      > then collected the heads but was unsure of when I should make the
      cuts so
      > just smelt each container as I went through. Everything seemed to
      smell the
      > same to me.
      >
      > When the temperature was at about 86 degrees, and not much
      products was
      > coming out of the tap, I decided to stop the run. I think I had
      about 3
      > litres of 95 percent spirit. This run took around 5 hours. The
      spirit smelt
      > a little like the wash had that I started with. I think this is
      because I
      > hadn't cleaned the still after the stripping run and all of the
      crap was
      > caught in the scrubbers. After the run I cleaned everything out.
      Can anyone
      > comment on this?
      >
      > The final spirit was okay, but not as neutral in smell as I
      thought it would
      > be. Is this due to the lack of cleaning?
      > I wasn't sure how much product I should have gained from the
      stripping run -
      > is there a way that I can know this before proceding next time?
      > I wasn't sure when to take the cuts - is there a calculation I can
      use based
      > on the quantity at hand?
      >
      > I found that using some 'Top Shelf' liquer essences was great and
      they taste
      > fine. I used a scotch essence and found that I could smell the
      odour from
      > the wash that I mention. So I think it was almost all out, but I
      was not
      > quite there.
      >
      > Any advice or questions welcome.
      >

      > Adam

      Hello Adam,
      It sounds as though you did most things right. You are correct in
      thinking you should have cleaned the still and packing before the
      second run. This so important that you should engrave it on the
      boiler.
      It also sounds as though your foreshots maybe a little short, but
      only your nose and taste will tell for sure.

      In running the EL design, it really helps if you keep in mind that a
      correctly operating compound still(an EL) will show near enough 78C
      in the vapour space above the packing on the main run.
      Unfortunately, it will also show near 78c when you are well into the
      tails, so you need some input from your nose, your tongue or
      technology to help.
      Experience makes you better at recognizing the rough end of the run,
      but until you learn the smells and tastes, another thermometer,
      correctly situated, will inform you that it is time to be cautious.

      I always use a thermometer placed in the vapour space at the top of
      the boiler. This will give you the temperature of the vapour before
      it enters the column. The critical temerature here is approximately
      94.5C. This is tails country for sugar washes. Once you see this
      temperature approach, you need to be saving your product in half or
      quarter litre numbered batches. Stop at 98C in the boiler top space.
      There is little useful left after that.

      Here is where you can learn the smells and tastes of the fusel oils
      that can spoil your hard work. Sniff and taste the numbered bottles
      to see just what seems clean and palatable, and what doesn't.
      Compare the smells and tastes with the main run. You WILL notice the
      difference. Cleaning the palate with dry unsweetened crackers will
      help quite a bit when tasting, and some discreet spitting may be
      required.

      Remember that temperature is only a guide. You own senses are much
      more acute, and when trained a little, will serve you well.

      Have fun,
      Jim
    • watertrade2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
        Hi Adam,
        Its a nice feeling isn't it... :) It sounds like your first run
        was pretty successful. After stripping the wash you ended up with
        about 3600 mls of alcohol (in your 6 liters @ 60%) so you probably
        tossed away about 1 liter when you did the stripping run - I
        wouldn't worry about it, I have never worked it out but I probably
        waste about the same during stripping runs.
        Anyway I wouldn't have thought that not cleaning the still after the
        stripping run wouldn't leave that much residual taste behind (I
        might be wrong here) I think the hot volatile vapour would flush all
        the crap back into the boiler or be taken as heads. The only thing I
        can comment on is that next time I would leave the column to
        stabilize by this I mean when the wash starts boiling leave the
        still at 100% reflux (like you did- but for longer) I find after the
        wash boils and everything gets up to temp and has been left at 100%
        reflux the temp drops down a fraction - this is the higher alcohols
        (alcohols with lower boiling points) collecting in the top of the
        column. I usually leave it for about 60 - 90 minutes just to make
        sure I'm getting all the nasties and then slowly take off the heads
        the amount I take can vary but I just keep sniffing away until I'm
        sure I'm into the main body of the run (one idea is to just collect
        everything slowly in smaller jars and deal with the separations
        later). I normally have a rough idea how much alcohol is in my wash
        so when I start to get near the end I watch the temperature like a
        hawk until the temp changes as soon as it changes I start collecting
        tails. Some good advice someone gave me was to watch for the change
        of temperature not the actual figure.

        This works for me but I'm sure everyone has a slightly different way
        of running their still.
        I hope this has been of some help!
        **you should probably also know that I have never used a El still**

        Cheers
        Jim

        wrote:
> [...]
        thought it would
        > be. Is this due to the lack of cleaning?
        > I wasn't sure how much product I should have gained from the
        stripping run -
        > is there a way that I can know this before proceding next time?
        > I wasn't sure when to take the cuts - is there a calculation I can
        use based
        > on the quantity at hand?
        >
        > I found that using some 'Top Shelf' liquer essences was great and
        they taste
        > fine. I used a scotch essence and found that I could smell the
        odour from
        > the wash that I mention. So I think it was almost all out, but I
        was not
        > quite there.
        >
        > Any advice or questions welcome.
        >

        > Adam

        > Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
      • dark_taet
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
          Mate congradulations....!

          Firstly as an introduction, i am pretty fussy about getting pure
          spirit, as well as being REALLY lazy.. ;-)

          What i normally do is make two lots of wash ie 50L do two lots of
          stripping then one final run. (I have a 60L drum which i add 8kg of
          sugar one table spoon of tomato paste (food for the yeasties) and
          ONE packet of turbo yeast, stir vigoursly... try and get lots of air
          into the water. Leave the lid off and come back the next day and
          add another 6Kg of sugar and give it another stir and then seal the
          lid.)

          Stripping runs straight into a flagon or a mash bucket.

          Then when i am taking the main run i put a old 700ml bottle in a 2L
          container (that way if i miss it doesn't matter), take it 700ml at a
          time. I usually stop around 85-90c.

          This way i have less hassel in cleaning also i find the first couple
          of bottles have a slight contamination i dont like so i dont use
          them for my spirits. I also dont use the last 2 or 3 bottles.

          Some add them back to the next run to get out the "little" extra bit
          of ethanol... Eventually you will end up with 10L of heads/tails
          like me that you finally through away, or add blue dye and hand out
          as window cleaner, or use in a dual fuel stove etc etc.

          I never need carbon these days and overall am very happy with the
          final product.

          Ohhhh and if your into the flavours like me try buying some of the
          oak chips and add it... After 4 weeks drink and go WOW...!

          Matt
        • dark_taet
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
            Ohhh how embarrasing...

            I forgot, after the stripping runs and before the main run i give it
            a thorough clean.

            I used to use dishwashing power, leave it overnight worked REALLY
            well, but got concerned that it might leave some nasties, so have
            switched to vinegar.

            Matt
          • Laurens W
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
              That's great, which Still R U using, is it the Vapour Management Still?

              and do you also treat the packing with vinegar? are you using the
              structured copper packing?
              > I forgot, after the stripping runs and before the main run i give it
              > a thorough clean.
              >
              > I used to use dishwashing power, leave it overnight worked REALLY
              > well, but got concerned that it might leave some nasties, so have
              > switched to vinegar.
              >
              > Matt

              > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • dark_taet
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
                I bought a Still Spirits boiler 25L with a 1380W element, then
                thanks to a VERY nice guy added a Sutronics controller do my run at
                around 700w.

                My column etc is the PDA-1, i have tried all sorts of
                alternatives... I REALLY love VM particularly for new people, the
                downfall i see is when trying to get flavours etc to come through.

                The PDA-1 gives me the flexibility to play with flavours and it
                packs into a sexy case etc. The price tag is pretty scarey, but i
                was more than happy to pay considering the effort the two mikes put
                in.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laurens W" <lwildebo@b...>