RE: [new_distillers] sugar mash output not booze

  • Rutger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
      > I'm cooking off my sugar mash and I tested what I have so far with a
      > hydrometer and it doesnt read anything. it just sinks. does that
      > mean it didnt make any alcohol? I'm using "the amazing still" if
      > that matters.
      > thanks

      Don't be afraid: you propably made alcohol. A hydrometer for mash _will_
      sink in alcohol, you need a special one to measure the destillate for its
      percentage. Taste it: when it tasts ok you are fine, when i tastes very sour
      you made vinaigre.

      Rutger
    • w_upnorth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
        You need a alcohol hydromiter to get alcohol content.
        A S.G. hydromiter will sink because alcohol is lighter than water.
        A S.G. hydromiter is for .990 the weight of water and up.