sugar mash output not booze

  • ukoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
      I'm cooking off my sugar mash and I tested what I have so far with a
      hydrometer and it doesnt read anything. it just sinks. does that
      mean it didnt make any alcohol? I'm using "the amazing still" if
      that matters.
      thanks
    • Rutger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
        > I'm cooking off my sugar mash and I tested what I have so far with a
        > hydrometer and it doesnt read anything. it just sinks. does that
        > mean it didnt make any alcohol? I'm using "the amazing still" if
        > that matters.
        > thanks

        Don't be afraid: you propably made alcohol. A hydrometer for mash _will_
        sink in alcohol, you need a special one to measure the destillate for its
        percentage. Taste it: when it tasts ok you are fine, when i tastes very sour
        you made vinaigre.

        Rutger
      • w_upnorth
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
          You need a alcohol hydromiter to get alcohol content.
          A S.G. hydromiter will sink because alcohol is lighter than water.
          A S.G. hydromiter is for .990 the weight of water and up.