Re: Opinions? Thanks guys, I was thinking in feet, not meters.

  • shinershane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      So I did mean 3' seeming to be common height, Not 3 Meters.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
      <james.holland@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Shane,
      > Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
      > the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
      > returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
      > at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
      > guess at the right size for you column
      > I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
      > much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
      > people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
      > to be small and still produce very pure sprit
      > If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
      > meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
      > keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like
      me
      > one just isn't enough)
      > I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
      > first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the
      idea
      > of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
      > the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to
      be
      > bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
      > will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As
      the
      > heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
      > the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
      > Cheers! -- good luck!
      > Jim
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
      > <shinershane@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I
      am
      > > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
      > > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
      > > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common
      height,
      > > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
      > higher
      > > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
      > >

      > > SS
    • nanosleep
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
        I'd go more than 3 feet, but less than 3 meters :P

        My column has a packed section that is a little more than 5 feet. The
        boiler + column + head is a few inches short of 8 feet (allows indoor
        operation in most places). The column is tall enough that it's not
        freestanding. I use one of those spring loaded shower curtain rods
        and a bit of string to tie the column to it. It works wonderfully.

        My first version of the still was about 2.5 feet of packed column. I
        was limited by a tall offset head and stovetop operation. This didn't
        seem to be quite long enough on the column. I'm now using a single
        reducer style head and water heater elements in the boiler.

        I'd recommend using the single reducer style head instead of the
        double. It's less parts, more compact, and just seems much better to me.