Re: Opinions?

  • watertrade2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi Shane,
      Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
      the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
      returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
      at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
      guess at the right size for you column
      I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
      much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
      people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
      to be small and still produce very pure sprit
      If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
      meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
      keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like me
      one just isn't enough)
      I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
      first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the idea
      of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
      the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to be
      bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
      will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As the
      heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
      the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
      Cheers! -- good luck!
      Jim

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
      <shinershane@y...> wrote:
      > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
      > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
      > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
      > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
      > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
      higher
      > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
      >

      > SS
    • shinershane
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        So I did mean 3' seeming to be common height, Not 3 Meters.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
        <james.holland@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Shane,
        > Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
        > the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
        > returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
        > at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
        > guess at the right size for you column
        > I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
        > much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
        > people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
        > to be small and still produce very pure sprit
        > If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
        > meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
        > keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like
        me
        > one just isn't enough)
        > I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
        > first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the
        idea
        > of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
        > the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to
        be
        > bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
        > will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As
        the
        > heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
        > the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
        > Cheers! -- good luck!
        > Jim
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
        > <shinershane@y...> wrote:
        > > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I
        am
        > > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
        > > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
        > > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common
        height,
        > > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
        > higher
        > > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
        > >

        > > SS
      • nanosleep
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
          I'd go more than 3 feet, but less than 3 meters :P

          My column has a packed section that is a little more than 5 feet. The
          boiler + column + head is a few inches short of 8 feet (allows indoor
          operation in most places). The column is tall enough that it's not
          freestanding. I use one of those spring loaded shower curtain rods
          and a bit of string to tie the column to it. It works wonderfully.

          My first version of the still was about 2.5 feet of packed column. I
          was limited by a tall offset head and stovetop operation. This didn't
          seem to be quite long enough on the column. I'm now using a single
          reducer style head and water heater elements in the boiler.

          I'd recommend using the single reducer style head instead of the
          double. It's less parts, more compact, and just seems much better to me.