Re: [new_distillers] Opinions?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      THREE METERS? I dont think it is a good coice. Four FEET seems work fine. If not you alsways can add more sections with a regular male-female couplers.

      shinershane <shinershane@...> wrote:Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
      using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
      double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
      before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
      but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
      then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks

      SS

      ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • watertrade2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hi Shane,
        Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
        the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
        returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
        at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
        guess at the right size for you column
        I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
        much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
        people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
        to be small and still produce very pure sprit
        If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
        meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
        keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like me
        one just isn't enough)
        I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
        first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the idea
        of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
        the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to be
        bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
        will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As the
        heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
        the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
        Cheers! -- good luck!
        Jim

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
        <shinershane@y...> wrote:
        > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
        > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
        > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
        > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
        > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
        higher
        > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
        >

        > SS
      • shinershane
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          So I did mean 3' seeming to be common height, Not 3 Meters.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
          <james.holland@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Shane,
          > Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
          > the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
          > returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
          > at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
          > guess at the right size for you column
          > I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
          > much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
          > people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
          > to be small and still produce very pure sprit
          > If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
          > meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
          > keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like
          me
          > one just isn't enough)
          > I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
          > first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the
          idea
          > of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
          > the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to
          be
          > bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
          > will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As
          the
          > heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
          > the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
          > Cheers! -- good luck!
          > Jim
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
          > <shinershane@y...> wrote:
          > > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I
          am
          > > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
          > > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
          > > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common
          height,
          > > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
          > higher
          > > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
          > >

          > > SS
        • nanosleep
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
            I'd go more than 3 feet, but less than 3 meters :P

            My column has a packed section that is a little more than 5 feet. The
            boiler + column + head is a few inches short of 8 feet (allows indoor
            operation in most places). The column is tall enough that it's not
            freestanding. I use one of those spring loaded shower curtain rods
            and a bit of string to tie the column to it. It works wonderfully.

            My first version of the still was about 2.5 feet of packed column. I
            was limited by a tall offset head and stovetop operation. This didn't
            seem to be quite long enough on the column. I'm now using a single
            reducer style head and water heater elements in the boiler.

            I'd recommend using the single reducer style head instead of the
            double. It's less parts, more compact, and just seems much better to me.