Re: Opinions?

  • shinershane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet
      <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
      > Three metres is approx. nine feet???????? Are you sure you want it
      that tall?

      I don't know, thats why I'm asking.
      SS

      > At 01:01 AM 1/1/04, you wrote:
      > >Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
      > >using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
      > >double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
      > >before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
      > >but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
      higher
      > >then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
      > >

      > >SS
      > >

      > >New Distillers group archives are at
      > ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > >FAQ and other information available at
      > ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
      > >
      > >ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
      > >FAQ and other information available at
      > ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0pvnm7/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D
      =egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1073034093/A=1911856/R=0/*http://www.li
      fescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1985>
      > >click here
      > >
      > >[]

      /group/new_distillers/

      > > *
      > > *
      > > <mailto:new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
      > >
      > > *
      >

      > Derek Hamlet
      > Victoria, B. C.
      > 592-8590
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        THREE METERS? I dont think it is a good coice. Four FEET seems work fine. If not you alsways can add more sections with a regular male-female couplers.

        shinershane <shinershane@...> wrote:Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
        using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
        double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
        before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
        but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
        then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks

        SS

        ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

      • watertrade2003
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          Hi Shane,
          Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
          the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
          returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
          at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
          guess at the right size for you column
          I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
          much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
          people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
          to be small and still produce very pure sprit
          If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
          meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
          keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like me
          one just isn't enough)
          I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
          first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the idea
          of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
          the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to be
          bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
          will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As the
          heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
          the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
          Cheers! -- good luck!
          Jim

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
          <shinershane@y...> wrote:
          > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
          > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
          > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
          > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
          > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
          higher
          > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
          >

          > SS
        • shinershane
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
            So I did mean 3' seeming to be common height, Not 3 Meters.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
            <james.holland@a...> wrote:
            > Hi Shane,
            > Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
            > the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
            > returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
            > at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
            > guess at the right size for you column
            > I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
            > much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
            > people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
            > to be small and still produce very pure sprit
            > If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
            > meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
            > keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like
            me
            > one just isn't enough)
            > I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
            > first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the
            idea
            > of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
            > the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to
            be
            > bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
            > will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As
            the
            > heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
            > the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
            > Cheers! -- good luck!
            > Jim
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
            > <shinershane@y...> wrote:
            > > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I
            am
            > > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
            > > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
            > > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common
            height,
            > > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
            > higher
            > > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
            > >

            > > SS
          • nanosleep
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
              I'd go more than 3 feet, but less than 3 meters :P

              My column has a packed section that is a little more than 5 feet. The
              boiler + column + head is a few inches short of 8 feet (allows indoor
              operation in most places). The column is tall enough that it's not
              freestanding. I use one of those spring loaded shower curtain rods
              and a bit of string to tie the column to it. It works wonderfully.

              My first version of the still was about 2.5 feet of packed column. I
              was limited by a tall offset head and stovetop operation. This didn't
              seem to be quite long enough on the column. I'm now using a single
              reducer style head and water heater elements in the boiler.

              I'd recommend using the single reducer style head instead of the
              double. It's less parts, more compact, and just seems much better to me.