Re: Opinions?

  • jimpuchai
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
      <shinershane@y...> wrote:
      > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
      > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
      > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
      > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
      > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
      higher
      > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
      >

      > SS

      In my experience, 1200mm of packing is fully adequate. Anything more
      is overkill and not seriously productive. So just add the height for
      the reducers and a condenser as described by Alex, and you will come
      out fairly close to two meters overall. These figures are for 50mm
      pipe. Smaller or bigger pipe, I don't know.
      If you go any higher you will run into problems with stability,
      access, weight and maybe birds roosting on your condenser:-) I
      suppose you might tell your neighbours it is a fancy antennae, but
      you may not get away with that little lie. They may even think of
      blackmail to get free supplies (big grin)

      Enjoy your project,
      Jim.
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        Three metres is approx. nine feet???????? Are you sure you want it that tall?
        At 01:01 AM 1/1/04, you wrote:
        >Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
        >using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
        >double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
        >before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
        >but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
        >then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
        >

        >SS
        >

        >New Distillers group archives are at
        ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
        >FAQ and other information available at
        ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
        >
        >ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
        >FAQ and other information available at
        ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0pvnm7/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1073034093/A=1911856/R=0/*http://www.lifescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1985>
        >click here
        >
        >[]

        > *
        > <mailto:new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *

        Derek Hamlet
        Victoria, B. C.
        592-8590
      • shinershane
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet
          <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
          > Three metres is approx. nine feet???????? Are you sure you want it
          that tall?

          I don't know, thats why I'm asking.
          SS

          > At 01:01 AM 1/1/04, you wrote:
          > >Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
          > >using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
          > >double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
          > >before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
          > >but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
          higher
          > >then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
          > >

          > >SS
          > >

          > >New Distillers group archives are at
          > ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > >FAQ and other information available at
          > ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
          > >
          > >ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
          > >FAQ and other information available at
          > ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0pvnm7/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D
          =egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1073034093/A=1911856/R=0/*http://www.li
          fescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1985>
          > >click here
          > >
          > >[]

          /group/new_distillers/

          > > *
          > > *
          > > <mailto:new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
          > >
          > > *
          >

          > Derek Hamlet
          > Victoria, B. C.
          > 592-8590
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
            THREE METERS? I dont think it is a good coice. Four FEET seems work fine. If not you alsways can add more sections with a regular male-female couplers.

            shinershane <shinershane@...> wrote:Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
            using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
            double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
            before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
            but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
            then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks

            SS

            ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

          • watertrade2003
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
              Hi Shane,
              Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
              the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
              returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
              at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
              guess at the right size for you column
              I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
              much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
              people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
              to be small and still produce very pure sprit
              If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
              meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
              keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like me
              one just isn't enough)
              I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
              first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the idea
              of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
              the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to be
              bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
              will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As the
              heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
              the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
              Cheers! -- good luck!
              Jim

              <shinershane@y...> wrote:
              > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
              > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
              > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
              > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
              > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
              higher
              > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
              >

              > SS
            • shinershane
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                So I did mean 3' seeming to be common height, Not 3 Meters.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003"
                <james.holland@a...> wrote:
                > Hi Shane,
                > Three meters is pretty big! – Although extra height does increase
                > the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
                > returns from the first lower sections of your column – have a look
                > at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
                > guess at the right size for you column
                > I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
                > much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
                > people – Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
                > to be small and still produce very pure sprit
                > If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
                > meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
                > keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like
                me
                > one just isn't enough)
                > I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column – VM head – my
                > first still was a 1.5m column – valved reflux head. I like the
                idea
                > of separating the vapour rather than the liquid – if you separate
                > the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to
                be
                > bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
                > will have to wait longer to get to the main run. … I think…. As
                the
                > heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
                > the clean product … hmmm … don't quote me on this!..
                > Cheers! -- good luck!
                > Jim
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
                > <shinershane@y...> wrote:
                > > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I
                am
                > > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                > > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                > > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common
                height,
                > > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
                > higher
                > > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
                > >

                > > SS
              • nanosleep
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                  I'd go more than 3 feet, but less than 3 meters :P

                  My column has a packed section that is a little more than 5 feet. The
                  boiler + column + head is a few inches short of 8 feet (allows indoor
                  operation in most places). The column is tall enough that it's not
                  freestanding. I use one of those spring loaded shower curtain rods
                  and a bit of string to tie the column to it. It works wonderfully.

                  My first version of the still was about 2.5 feet of packed column. I
                  was limited by a tall offset head and stovetop operation. This didn't
                  seem to be quite long enough on the column. I'm now using a single
                  reducer style head and water heater elements in the boiler.

                  I'd recommend using the single reducer style head instead of the
                  double. It's less parts, more compact, and just seems much better to me.