9995Re: Spirit of Honey

  • waljaco
    Dec 23, 2003
      Nuh, the Vikings drank beer and mead but did not distill. I think the
      Dutch and Germans spread the term along the Baltic coast. The Dutch
      established distillation of wine in the Cognac region of France for
      trade, and the Germans had the Hanseatic League. 'Brandewijn' was a
      Dutch derivation from the Latin 'aqua ardens','spiritus vini','aqua
      vine'. For a grain spirit they use 'Korenwijn' (Grain wine).
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stronkus2003"
      <stronkus2003@y...> wrote:
      > In Swedish we use the word "Brännvin" about vodka, translated it
      > is "burned wine". Could be that it was the vikings in England who
      > originally used the word "Brandwine"
      > Well Merry Christmas on You all
      > Stronk
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
      > > 'Brandwine' or 'brandewine' was the original English term used
      > > French 'cognac' - a grape distillate. It was later changed
      > > to 'brandywine' and then shortened to 'brandy'. The use of the
      > > term 'brandy' for other clear spirits is quite recent. I still
      > > the view that 'mead brandy' is a modern (possibly U.S.) term. It
      > > seems like a good name to use though.
      > > Wal
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic