9403Re: [new_distillers] Re: Question on carbon filtering

  • vector180
    Nov 5, 2003
      There are indeed many ways to filter for those of us that have too (Im
      working on a better rig all in good time:) I have spent some time
      makeing my current setup and process a litle easier. I have a temp alarm
      that goes off at 45degc. (its set there because it takes my boiler at
      least 1 hour to even budge then it rockets real quick.) the alarm goes
      off I wonder in and watch it stabilise (which is fairly quick once its
      at temp) and collect the foreshots. I then put a 2l glass flagon under
      the outlet and walk off. I know the approx time it takes to collect the
      first ~700ml. (allthough I once had an old kitchen scales with
      microswitch and buzzer to tell me) while its cooking I set up my filter
      (basicly a meter of verticle 40mm pipe with a tap on the bottom. I have
      filter elements to catch the carbon dust inside,just above the tap. I
      previously steam my carbon the day b4 so its clean and wet. Once
      collected I store the heads and tails for the next run. The middle I
      collect in the flagon to about 1.5L mark top up with water to another
      mark which I know gives me my 50% and up end the flagon into the pipe.
      The Pipe fills up and the bottle slowly empties itself because of the
      tap setting. it will take overnight to filter that bottle.

      some times I strip some times I dont. When I get my 50L boiler and colum
      working ill probably use the current one to just strip.

      tfurey7 wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rutger" <rutgerr@z...> wrote:
      > > Then wat WAS the answer?
      > >
      > > Rutger
      >

      > The carbon can just sit in the alcohol. The unwanted odors and
      > flavors will be absorbed by it. To use someone elses analogy, it is
      > like cooking food you put it in the oven for a little while turning
      > it now and then to fully cook it. Just passing it through a filter
      > once would be the equivalent of a one minute egg. Also the alcohol
      > should be cut to 40-50% to achieve the best results.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Tim
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>