8209Re: Distiller's Refractometer info

  • CornFed (Randy)
    Jun 29, 2003
      I use a refractometer to measure brix levels in various things that I
      try to ferment. I find it very useful because you only need a drop
      or 2 of juice to get a close estimate of the sugar levels. As for
      using one only to just measure the proof of your ethanol, I have
      found the less than 10 dollar floating alcometer more than adequate
      for finding the strength of the distilled product. In my opinion, if
      you are going to spend the money for the high price tag, I would get
      a brix refractometer.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pipefitterbill2003"
      <pipefitterbill2003@y...> wrote:
      > Has any one used a 'distiller's refractometer' to determine
      alcohol
      > strength? I have seen them for sale on several websites for around
      > $130.00 US. I am hoping that some one out there has used them and
      has
      > some advice on whether they are worth the $$ and if they are
      > accurate. It seem's that it may save some hassle from using the
      > alcometer and thermometer combo, and temp correction method.
      > Thanks in advance for any info,- Big Bill
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic