7179Re: More on "impossible results?"

  • Snowblind Moose
    Mar 4, 2003
      Thanks for your interest Peter:

      I should clarify; The average of the "berry brandy" was 73% - it
      STARTED at 82% (the 1st 200 mls. of "hearts").

      I have a lyne arm made from 3/8 copper line. From the boiler it runs
      at a 45 degree angle, upward for about 32 in., then runs down to
      the condensor at a 45 degree angle at for about 36 in. (trying to get
      some "reflux" happening in the lyne arm).

      It is definitely cooled to below 20 degrees C. (I use snow in the
      condensor bucket this time of year). The temp. correction according
      to the instructions on my alchometer is minimal (at a few degrees
      below 20 C.), if anything I'm reading a lower percent than what the
      distalate actually is.

      When I run a "turbo yeast" mash through, I typically get 1st drips
      (heads) at 83 degrees, and I collect "hearts" at averaging around 90
      degrees. From 5 gal. of mash I get just under a gal. (not
      including "tails" that I cut off as soon as I get the aftertaste)of
      about 63 - 65% abv.

      Any further comments will be appreciated, this is definately a higher
      % than I should have (according to my understanding of the
      priciples) - The good news here is that I'm really starting to like
      the "berry brandy" that it produced - so much so that I think I'll
      try to duplicate the results. ( I was considering using "ec 1118" to
      give me a lower % mash - thereby more fruit taste in the distilate)

      S.M.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb
      <viciousblackout@y...>" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
      > "If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler
      > (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at
      84%."
      > this seems correct to me. on tonys site it says it should come out
      at
      > 78% at the start with 40%.
      > if you have a large lyne arm you will get more than this. do you
      cool
      > your alcohol to 20C before measuring the %. if it is warm it can
      > change the readings dramatically giving a higher % than reality.
      > when you do a 17% run what is the overall % of all the distillate
      > mixed together? how many litres do you collect?
      >
      > Peter
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose
      > <tonkay1@y...>" <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
      > > Thanx for your input Bryn! - but no, my "alchometer" is reading
      > > percent (actualy it's both, one side % - the other proof). I
      > checked
      > > it for acuracy by testing some comercially available " 40%
      Alchool"
      > (
      > > I live in Canada)and it's within a hair. And, as I said in my
      > first
      > > post on this subject, I was collecting "heads" at a steady 85.2
      > > degrees C. According to Mr. Ackland's "Dist. Temp. and
      > Concentration
      > > Relationship" table, 82% is in the ballpark so to speak.
      > >
      > > The table also indicates that my wort must've been an impossibly
      > high
      > > ABV. This is what's perplexing me.
      > >
      > > This is the 1st time I've tried the "Prestige Pot Distillers
      Yeast"
      > > also, I don't know an acurate sugar content, as I can only guess
      at
      > > the content in the berries - and I used a lot of berries. (for
      more
      > > info - see my 1st post)
      > >
      > > S.M.
      > >
      > > p.s. I added the "tails" from a previous batch to the wort, but
      > less
      > > than a litre with a fairly low abv.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryn Tucker <bryn@e...>
      > wrote:
      > > > My pot still usually starts out at 78% output and generally
      runs
      > > down at an increasing curve (meaning the % drops faster as the
      run
      > > continues) until about 60-58% when the percentage drops extremely
      > > rapidly. This happens when I do stripping runs, and second whisky
      > > runs with a start at about 30%.
      > > > If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the
      > boiler
      > > (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at
      > 84%.
      > > > I've never had a wort test above 17%.
      > > >
      > > > Maybe your alcoholmeter is proof, not ABV?
      > > > 41% (82 proof) seems like a good number for a pot still run,
      and
      > > 12% (24 proof) is average for wort.
      > > > -Bryn

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic