7166Re: More on "impossible results?"

  • Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@yahoo.com>
    Mar 3, 2003
      Thanx for your input Bryn! - but no, my "alchometer" is reading
      percent (actualy it's both, one side % - the other proof). I checked
      it for acuracy by testing some comercially available " 40% Alchool" (
      I live in Canada)and it's within a hair. And, as I said in my first
      post on this subject, I was collecting "heads" at a steady 85.2
      degrees C. According to Mr. Ackland's "Dist. Temp. and Concentration
      Relationship" table, 82% is in the ballpark so to speak.

      The table also indicates that my wort must've been an impossibly high
      ABV. This is what's perplexing me.

      This is the 1st time I've tried the "Prestige Pot Distillers Yeast"
      also, I don't know an acurate sugar content, as I can only guess at
      the content in the berries - and I used a lot of berries. (for more
      info - see my 1st post)

      S.M.

      p.s. I added the "tails" from a previous batch to the wort, but less
      than a litre with a fairly low abv.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bryn Tucker <bryn@e...> wrote:
      > My pot still usually starts out at 78% output and generally runs
      down at an increasing curve (meaning the % drops faster as the run
      continues) until about 60-58% when the percentage drops extremely
      rapidly. This happens when I do stripping runs, and second whisky
      runs with a start at about 30%.
      > If I do a run with the starting percentage above 40% in the boiler
      (when I'm doing a schnapps or gin run), I usually get a start at 84%.
      > I've never had a wort test above 17%.
      >
      > Maybe your alcoholmeter is proof, not ABV?
      > 41% (82 proof) seems like a good number for a pot still run, and
      12% (24 proof) is average for wort.
      > -Bryn

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic