6602Re: Still improvement question

  • pjmnc62
    Dec 1, 2002
      Deno,
      After Looking at your still, it is my opinion that it is configured
      as a simple pot still. You did not provide a means for the condensate
      to return back down the column (reflux). Adding column height is not
      the best fix for this still, although additional column height might
      allow some vapour to condense and return (if uninsulated).

      The addition of a small internal cooling coil at the still head would
      be a good solution for you. You should design it so that the coolant
      can be controlled over a finely adjustable range of flows. You should
      be able to adjust from 0% reflux to 100% reflux. Very little cooling
      should provide the result that you desire, in my opinion.

      I would also add a little more column packing (nearly full) to
      provide more interaction between ascending and decending components.
      When starting, run at 100% reflux and allow the column to stabilize
      before collecting to achieve your best results.
      I hope this helps.
      PJ

      --- In new_distillers@y..., "deno752002" <waterline@o...> wrote:
      > I've given my new still a few more runs. I am finding it difficult
      > if not impossible to get the still to run with the column head
      > temperature below 90 degrees C.
      >
      > On the last run it stayed at about 93 degrees pretty well the whole
      > time untill the run was finished and I wound up with distilate at
      > 55% which matches Tony's graph for vapour alcohol content.
      >
      > I want to get the percentage in the distillate up a bit - more
      > like an easily achievable 80% for which I would need a column head
      > vapour temp of about the mid 80s. (Am I basiccally correct
      > here??)
      >
      > At the moment my column is 2" by 2 feet high with scrubbers for 18
      > inches in it. Would lengething the height of the column by 380mm
      > (15 inches) and adding another foot or so of scrubbers allow it to
      > run with a cooler head vapour temp?
      >
      > If not I might just have to make an internal reflux coil for it
      > after all.
      >
      > Any suggestions most welcome.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic