      From: pocoian2000 [mailto:ianelamacsween@...]
      Sent: 4 September 2002 08:35
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Pot Distiller's Yeast

      --- In new_distillers@y..., Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
      > Hi Ian,

      > I haven't used the Prestige Pot Distillers yeast, but if I were
      making a
      > schnapps I would just try to make as good and clean a fruit wine as
      I could.
      > Take it off the lees early, say when you get down to an SG of
      1.005, and
      > rack it into another barrel to finish off the ferment.
      > Since you are going to be distilling the finished product and not
      drinking
      > it, you need (in my opinion) strong, robust flavours in the wine,
      and plenty
      > of aroma. Ferment on the skins, to extract as much of the
      flavinoids and
      > phenols as possible. Remove the stones (pits) as they often produce
      bitter
      > flavours. Avoid oxidisation as this removes the fruity esters. A
      long, cool,
      > slow ferment is best.
      >  Rack off the lees again before distilling.
      > That's it.
      > Cheers, Rob

      Thanks Rob! I guess I have been doing more or less as you suggest.
      John V. pointed out that I should use the specific gravity as a
      guideline. This also is a good suggestion.

      Just sort of surprised that the directions on the Prestige Pot
      Distiller's Yeast packet is not more explicit. They should say for
      (whatever) amount of fruit, add sugar to bring up to (whatever)
      specific gravity, etc.

      Last year I did as you suggest and made "heavy" fruit wines with
      quite a bit more fruit than called for in the recipes. The fruit had
      all been frozen, so I did not add Campden tablets or sulphate. I also
      did not add tannin and other things you would usually add to some
      fruit wines. I did use pectic enzymes and "acidex".  Actually, the
      wine turned out so nice that I did not have the heart to distill all
      of it. All the ladies in the neighbourhood just love it. But the
      schnapps I made with a small pot still was really good.

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17
      050416

      94:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

      94:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      >

      > Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This
      electronic mail
      > message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
      that is
      > privileged and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the intended recipient
      you are
      > advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or
      reproduction of
      > the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you
      have
      > received this document in error, please notify the sender
      immediately and
      > destroy the message.

      Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic