5311Re: [new_distillers] Pot Distiller's Yeast

  • John Vandermeulen
    Sep 3, 2002
      Ian,
      Re: amount of fruit per water - does this not depend on what S.G. you want
      to begin with? That is the way I have treated that instruction. Suppose
      you want S.G. 1.060. If your fruit sap is below that (i.e. say 1.040),
      then adding more water is counter-productive. Instead you need to add
      sugar. So it becomes a balancing act between adding water, adding sugar,
      and measuring S.G. - I think.
      JohnV

      Ian Macsween wrote:

      > I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot
      > Distiller's Yeast. On the packet the instructions state: "1. Add
      > your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and add 5 liters
      > ... of water ..." etc. I find this first step fuzzy as there are no
      > directions given as to how much fruit one should use. The rest of the
      > instructions on the packet seem clear enough. My main question is - how
      > many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to make a batch of
      > schnapps? If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the
      > additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot
      > distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track
      > to making a good schnapps? For example: my winemaking booklet calls for
      > the following amounts of fruit per batch. Apricot - 7 kg (15 lbs.)
      > for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons) Blackberry - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4
      > litres (1 gallon) Blueberry - 1 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1
      > gallon) etc. I look forward to any guidance I can get.
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [Image]

      [Image]