      From: Ian Macsween [mailto:ianelamacsween@...]
      Sent: 3 September 2002 11:31
      To: New Distillers
      Subject: [new_distillers] Pot Distiller's Yeast

      I am certain that many members of our group have used Prestige Pot Distiller's Yeast.

      On the packet the instructions state:

           "1. Add your fruit into a 25 - 30 liter ... clean plastic bucket and add 5 liters ... of water ..."  etc.

      I find this first step  fuzzy as there are no directions given as to how much fruit one should use.  The rest of the instructions on the packet seem clear enough.

      My main question is - how many pounds/kilos of fruit should be added to make a batch of schnapps?

      If I follow a standard fruit wine recipe and eliminate the additives usually called for in fruit wines - and substitute pot distiller's yeast for regular wine yeast - will I be on the right track to making a good schnapps?

      For example:  my winemaking booklet calls for the following amounts of fruit per batch.

         Apricot  - 7 kg (15  lbs.)  for 19 litres (5 U.S. gallons)
         Blackberry  - 2.6 kg (6 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)
         Blueberry  - 1 kg (2  1/2 lbs.) per 4 litres (1 gallon)

      etc.

      I look forward to any guidance I can get.

      Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic