520RE: [new_distillers] Heating elements?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Mar 4, 2001
      Glen,

      >..i just read the email where you said that you open the valve when you
      >get to 79deg,what do you mean by that?

      I use the Nixon-Stone type of condensor (see http://www.gin-vodka.com ).
      Sorry I don't have a picture of mine yet, but Rob has posted one
      previously, and its also at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm . This uses a manual
      needle valve to regulate how much of the distillate is collected, and thus
      by default, how much gets returned back to the column. When doing a normal
      run, I alter this split to ensure that I'm providing enough reflux to get
      the high purity I desire. At the end of the run, I want to collect the
      remaining alcohol, but aren't too worried about its purity. So opening the
      valve means that I collect it all, and return none as reflux.

      ALso what sort of still head connection and pot do you use

      The connection to the pot lid is a 1.5 inch to 1 inch reducing joint, with
      a thread on the outside. Put it through the hole in the lid, and screw up
      the outer nut. The pot is a sterilizing unit (for boiling jars of jam or
      fruit in) called a Vacola.

      Tony
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic