      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 9:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Lowering the Proof

      If you oak at above 140 proof, your product takes on an astringent taste in my view.  Never heard of oaked Grappa, spent months in Piemonte and never saw it, not saying it cant be done or wont be good.  Another point is chips are bunk.  Brew shops sell em, they give you a one dimensional flavor, where oak cubes or sticks impart the flavor more slowly and give a better final result.

      I would question taking any advice from someone who recommends oaking at 185 proof.

      cheers
      Michael