45039RE: [new_distillers] Mashing

  • Robert Hubble
    Apr 17, 2014
      Jerry,

      From my own personal experience, boiling the corn to gelatinize the starch crystals makes the biggest, gummiest, mess of all, but there are a couple of ways around making epoxy/corn/gum. Adding some ordinary enzymes (either store-bought or from malted barley) to cold water and grain will hydrolyze a lot of the gummy stuff on the way up to boiling temperatures (I think it's called pre-malting), even though the enzymes will be denatured finally in the process. The rest of the process is the normal cool to 152 and then add final mashing enzymes.

      A super variation on that is the get some of our own Pint-o-shine's high temperature enzymes, and reduce that corn to liquid, and the starch to dextrins and then to sugar, all in pretty much one pass. This video is a real eye-opener to anyone that's fought the dreaded corn gum/goop.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnboJ3Kxeo&list=UUG034xngTRhbEAxK8Wya5Gg

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jkmccull@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:03:53 -0700
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Mashing

      3 gallons of water for the mashing. After I had converted the starch to sugar, the mash mixture was diluted with water until I had a grain and water  volume of 16 gallons. That was what I fermented. I got the recipe from the archives quite a few years ago. The recipe also included the mashing instructions. It warned about how thick the mixture became and how essential the stirring was.  I did several batches like this.

      Once the corn started converting and the grain absorbed a lot of the water, the mixture was so thick that it took extreme effort to keep it stirred and from burning. I had to throw away one batch due to burning. My attention had wandered momentarily because I was so tired and that was all it took to burn the mash. The entire mashing process took 8+ hours per batch. I did end up with about 8% potential ABV without adding any sugar.

      My thought was by boiling the starch from the corn, I would halve the amount of grain that I would be mashing thereby keeping the mash from being so thick. If the mash was thinner then stirring would be easier and less chance of burning.

      Jerry McCullough
      On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:08 PM, Jay cell <adamsfly@...> wrote:

      How much water did you add to the mash?
      On Apr 16, 2014, at 3:43 PM, <jkmccull@...> <jkmccull@...> wrote:

      About 4 years back I made bourbon using the recipe of 5 lbs cracked corn, 1 lbs of cracked rye and 3.4 lbs of 6-row malted barley. I mashed the mixture, fermented, distilled and ended up with what I considered a good bourbon. I let the bourbon age for a few months and started sipping it. I gave some to my son-in-aw who stored it away with some charred white oak strips.  Once I started sipping the bourbon, it disappeared pretty fast. A month or so ago my son-in-law and I tasted the now 4 year old bourbon and good had turned to great. Now I have a hankering to make some more of the bourbon.

      I want to change my mashing procedure to see if I can increase the yield and make the process a little easier. I want to vigorously boil the cracked corn with the intent of extracting as much of the starch as possible. After the boiling I will strain out all the corn solids and save then. Then I will mash the corn starch, malted barley and cracked rye to convert to sugar. After the mashing, I will strain out all the solids and then ferment the resulting mixture with the corn, barley and rye solids in a mesh bag.

      Will this work?

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic