      Subject: [new_distillers] Mashing
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 2:43 PM

      About 4
      years back I made bourbon using the recipe
      of 5 lbs cracked corn, 1 lbs of cracked rye and 3.4 lbs of
      6-row malted barley.
      I mashed the mixture, fermented, distilled and ended up with
      what I considered a
      good bourbon. I let the bourbon age for a few months and
      started sipping it. I
      gave some to my son-in-aw who stored it away with some
      charred white oak
      strips.  Once I started sipping the
      bourbon,
      it disappeared pretty fast. A month or so ago my son-in-law
      and I tasted the
      now 4 year old bourbon and good had turned to great. Now I
      have a hankering to
      make some more of the bourbon.

      want to change my mashing procedure to see if I can increase
      the yield and make
      the process a little easier. I want to vigorously boil the
      cracked corn with
      the intent of extracting as much of the starch as possible.
      After the boiling I
      will strain out all the corn solids and save then. Then I
      will mash the corn
      starch, malted barley and cracked rye to convert to sugar.
      After the mashing, I
      will strain out all the solids and then ferment the
      resulting mixture with the
      corn, barley and rye solids in a mesh bag.

      Will
      this work?
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic