      From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:new_distillers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Davis
      Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:55 AM
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] which yeast do you prefer

      I am not sure which ones I prefer.  I say this because I have never used an ale yeast (only heard about it), never used bakers yeast but the black bull works well and just got some lavlin EC-1118 in so I wanna get some opinions and do a ferment/run of each with all proponents exactly the same and see which one will give me the best "vodka" in order to flavor myself.  I have also looked into making my own yeast as you say but am new(er) to distilling so I am starting simple and working up.  Also, thanks for responding to my post(s).  You and a few others respond quite vigilantly and rapidly to all of my questions and it is much appreciated.

      Now, off to look up some Freshman's!!!

      On Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:33 AM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

      For bakers yeast I used Freshman's Fast Rise with good results.  Smell was great too.  I know nothing about ale yeast.  I will be making my own yeast and enzymes, so I would suggest that you also look into making your own yeast.  It may not be perfect, but it will allow you to create your own flavor profile unique to what you are trying to make for yourself.  Remember that first run flavor comes from your grains, malts, and yeast.

      Robert