44541Re: [new_distillers] foodgrade silicone seal

  • David Young
    Nov 28, 2013
      So I can just remove the silicone seal from the boiler and replace it right? Do I have to use any adhesive on the seal to get it to stick?

      On Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:54 PM, Jolly G <jollygbegood@...> wrote:

      I'm kind of new around here...but why not just use a PTFE (teflon) seal?  Like this one:

      http://www.grainger.com/product/RUBBERFAB-Gasket-5PYD1

      On Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:20 AM, David Young <luv2duckhunt88@...> wrote:

      Thank you for your response!

      On Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:31 AM, Chris Davis <worm785@...> wrote:

      I have some the same as well with no problems thus far. But, the alcohol of high enough proof over time will degrade the seal. You can use it a few times, mostly to "season" the pot, and then I would just switch to a flour water paste for a seal.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 27, 2013, at 4:01 PM, <luv2duckhunt88@...> wrote:

       I purchased a still off of ebay that has a food grade silicone seal on the pot.  I just read where silicone is not a good combo with alcohol.  Am I screwed?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic