      From: Jim Graves <jimbull34@...>;
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] making a mash from 50lb bag of feed store craked corn but no malt
      Sent: Tue, May 28, 2013 3:55:50 PM

      No, syrup is not a sub for malted barley.  The enzymes in the barley is what the corn needs to convert the sugar to alcohol.  I'm afraid without the barley, you just are going to waste good corn.  You need to cook and hold that temp for several hours, after that just cover and let sit until cool enough to add yeast.  My mash will be thick and gooey and I then add the needed water to make the batch, this cools it enough to add the yeast at that point.  BUT, you need the malted barley...

      Jim