      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.
      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 10:53 AM

      You now
      have some nice sterilized oak sticks that will impart
      nothing to your product. If you boil and sterilize the wood
      you remove the tannins and vanillas that impart the flavor
      to the distillate.
       Instead
      of trying to get something that is locally available and
      unusable, spend the pennies that are required to order
      toasted oak chips, find a local saw mill and ask for
      their white oak scraps or buy a board or two, most wood
      workers have lots of scraps that they will give away. It is
      not that difficult to find usable oak that is safe and
      cheap.  To
      get good aging you need to use virgin oak, Think about
      this "Why do the bourbon distillers only use their
      charred oak barrels once?" The aging process removes
      the
      constituents of the white oak wood that add the flavors to
      the
      distillate.
      From: M L
      <kekedog13@...>
      Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013, 12:19 PM

      In the final run the only

      thing that matters is the taste that the wood imparts in
      the

      spirit.
    • Show all 44 messages in this topic