      From: Paul <sudokuhater-b@...>
      To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:40 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: used barrels sold as planters as a source of oak wood for aging.

      "am I reading what was being said correctly and that the Acetobacter wouldn't be able to impart off flavors in aging whiskey (above 40% abv)?"

      Mostly I think it would be vinegar imparting off flavours. and maybe that would depend on how long the infection had been present in and on the barrel insides.

      Can anyone with experience answer this?

      My point in reply to Robert was that acetobacter requires oxygen in order to oxidize ethanol for its own respirative energy requirements (IE the ethanol is its "food",) and as the barrels are sealed and the ABV is so high I question whether it could get a foothold.

      As to whether the oak in the barrell can be reused, I guess you will have to suck it and see.

      Paul

    • Show all 44 messages in this topic