      From: fatbloke <fatbloke@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Phone a Friend
      Top comment Derek......

      I'd also like to participate in a similar way, but when you consider how much money is raised from excise duty and other attached taxes in the UK, Norway, Sweden, etc etc.....

      Its a major revenue raiser for them (check out tbe history of US prohibition and you'll appreciate this further).

      While they might earn more from alcohol sales than say US or CA governments, the only country with recent form for changing this kind of rule is, as we're all well aware, is NZ.....

      They seem to have some relatively recent political enlightenment,  which is rather rare among "Western Democracies"......

      So a better place to chat about it etc, is probably, IMO, a fine idea......
      -------- Original message -------- From: Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> Date: 05/09/2013 15:22 (GMT+00:00) To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Phone a Friend
      At 08:11 PM 9/4/2013, you wrote:
      >Have you placed this 26 USC message on www.artisan-distiller.net web
      >site? How about some of the other distilling forum? If
      >new_distillers @ yahoo is your only forum, then that is a big
      >obstacle. As a matter of fact, it would be easier if all of the
      >distilling forums were working together on this issue of getting the
      >laws changed.

      I come from a different perspective on this. If we need a political,
      organizational wing to promote distilling, then it needs to be
      totally separate from this site.
      Because I believe that this forum provides an opportunity to express
      opinions and facts about the technical aspects of getting from
      ingredients to high quality product and as such provides a forum
      where the politics of this subject do not encroach on our ability to
      freely discuss these things. Bringing in politics dilutes that
      process and draws unnecessary and unwanted attention.

      Do we need a forum where people can discuss, organize, exchange ideas
      about the bizarre laws that seem more than anything else to ensure
      that those with power maintain power; you betcha. I'll be part of
      it and want to work on getting these issues resolved; but not here.

      My email is easily traced; I'm not that paranoid, but if I wanted to
      do I could participate in a site where there is no way to be found;
      assuming that the dogs of law are not wiling to stakeout the public
      library to catch me with my very generic email address.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic