44122Re: [new_distillers] Heat control

  • TODP
    Aug 31, 2013
      I control mine by the rate of condenser cooling water flow.. I get on average one pt or 500ml every 12-14min of time @ 185+proof... sometimes everyone makes WAY too much out of this whole SIMPLE process!! It ain't quite rocket science!! Heck they been doing it fer hundreds of years before any of us got interested!! Think about it.. you heat a wash or mash after fermentation.. you evaporate the ethanol from the batch.. how hard can it be??? Just watch and taste the heads when it starts till you like it then run batch till yo get to about 205F and keep track of taste.. run till you don't like as tails.. sometimes I like the tails better for taste and mix with hearts to get what I like pending what I made for a ferment.. you really can't go wrong IF you stick to basics... Ya all put way tooo much thought into all of it fer just a simple process!  RELAX! Try one or two batches and LEARN... like the rest of us as well our fore fathers did!! Without failure you gain NO experience to become expertise... besides, ya get to try your failures!!  ENJOY!!!

      On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Brian McGill wrote:

          I understand that...but how do you control the rate of spirit drip?

      Brian J. McGill

      On Aug 30, 2013, at 12:20, TODP < danimae@...> wrote:

      If you run a 1500W 110V element you don't even need a controller as it will barely warm up 8gal milk can in 2 hours for a run to the required 193F to distill.. it will then take another 2-3 hours to finish it off to the 206F for the tails!!!   I do it all the time.. leave it on high till temps are reached and run is done! The control is useless for a 1500W system!!

      On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Brendan Keith wrote:

          Get a  1500W, 120V element and one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

      --
      Brendan Keith