      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: meriwetherdistilleries@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:35:39 -0700
      Subject: [new_distillers] RE: scotch mash with peat moss

      I have worked with peat in different ways including using it in the mash and adding it to the distillate pre-oaking. The peat before hand doesn't really add any flavor. The distillate soak on the other hand added such a huge amount of peat flavor that it all but ruined the whisky. One nice benefit is that it really clarified and highlighted the difference in peat flavor and smoke flavor. I'd recommend soaking some peat in a small amount of whisky distillate and using that as your peat concentrate, adding small amounts till you have the desired flavor. Otherwise smoking the grain is your best bet for a nice subtle peatiness. If you're looking for a Lagavulin style body and flavor you'll need the smoke in addition to the peat. To be specific you need smoke from peat, all three Kildalton coast whiskies are made with Port Ellen malt which is all peat malted barley. Without the smoke you may find the peat flavor to be acrid and overwhelming.Have fun and please report your findings back here! W.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic