44109Re: [new_distillers] scotch mash with peat moss

  • Zapata Vive
    Aug 30, 2013
      1.  If buying smoked malt, be careful to get the scottish peat smoked malt, not the german wood smoked malt, huge differences.
      2.  You have read up on harry's essence of peatreak, yeah?  If not a search should show you a lot.
      3.  I have read of people using harry's peatreak or similar in a mash instead of doctoring the finished product with it.
      4.  If you want to just put peat in the mash, I doubt it'll do much.  Some todo has been made about scottish water flowing through peat and thus imparting some peaty character, but a lot of experts have dismissed this as being negligible to pointless in regards to the spirit.  Most people are talking about the peat smoke character when they say peat, so at the very least smoke your peat before you add it to the mash.

      All that said, I'd go with Harry's peatreak.  Much easier to experiment with the degree you want in the bottle without risking over or under doing it.  Or, experiment with adding smoked peat to the mash on a tiny scale, like a tea kettle still, to find a ratio that works well...

      Also worth pointing out that lots of reports indicate that none of the peated barley available to homebrewers is peaty enough to make an Islay style scotch, even if comprising 100% of the grainbill.

      On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Blackhat-Whitedog <blkhatwhtdog@...> wrote:

      afaik, the point in using peat originally was the stop the barley they were malting (aka sprouting) from continuing, the low heat of a peat fire was enough to kill the germination process without destroying the enzymes the sprouting created, these enzymes are what converts the starches into fermentable sugars. the smoke was an interesting bonus that some distilleries encouraged. (you might say the heavy charring bourbon makers give our barrels is similar/parallel discovery for flavor. I can't imagine adding peat to a mash would do anything positive, its a woody fiber from a bog that does not rot much which is why it is prized in garden soils as it holds moisture without dissappearing in a season or two.

      but I wonder how a few drops or a little bottle of liquid smoke would do?

      one of the tricks suggested by American Test Kitchen to make smoky flavored ribs without a smoker is to put lapsang suchon (sorry about the spelling, its smoked chinese tea) in a baking sheet with the meat on a screen/rack just above it.

      Subject: [new_distillers] scotch mash with peat moss
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 29, 2013, 3:07 PM

      so i am a bourbon\corn distiller. i
      am attempting to try my hand at scotch. i dont have access
      to peated malt, but i have peat. i dont want to smoke the
      malt, but can smoke the peat. has anyone ever tried adding
      peat smoked or unsmoked to the mash with good results. if
      so, what kind of quantities? i am looking for a lagavulin
      flavor profile.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic